BFR where the pool goes

KWDYERa

Aug 24, 2021
North Carolina
Hey group. First let me thank you all for allowing a new newbie. We are in the process of having a pool installed and the installer ran into a BFR in the middle of the backyard where the pool is to go. I know it is best to dig down to undisturbed ground, but it looks like we might need to build up. The soil in this area is red clay and compacts tight, my question is what compactor would be best to compact the soil? I trenching compactor? A vibrating plate compactor? Maybe a ride on drum roller, if this, would you use a smooth drum or a pad foot drum?

Never build up a site with dirt. Always dig down. You will not find an expert here that will encourage you to build up with clay soil.

If you insist on building up, you can use road base aka 2 a modified and bring it in with 2-3" lifts and build up that way n run a plate compactor but that's the only way.

One gallon of water weighs 8lbs. Times that by how many gallons and add it to poorly compacted soil and you're pool could collapse.

Welcome to TFP! My, Elon should not be leaving those laying about in random yards in NC. What was he thinking? :p

Joking aside, I'm curious what the installer said about it? Is this a case where you are preparing the ground and then they are installing? Sorry for my ignorance of the situation, I'm genuinely unsure why this is on you to figure out and not the pool installer.

Welcome to TFP! My, Elon should not be leaving those laying about in random yards in NC. What was he thinking? :p

Joking aside, I'm curious what the installer said about it? Is this a case where you are preparing the ground and then they are installing? Sorry for my ignorance of the situation, I'm genuinely unsure why this is on you to figure out and not the pool installer.
We have an installer; however, I should have been from Missouri (The Show Me State, or in this case explain it to me). I really do not like the idea of building up, with just using a skid steer to compact. But even if the rock is removed (might actually be more of a vein), the hole needs to be back filled and compacted. I worked waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 80s for an electrician that did a lot of ground work and we always had to compact the soil with a power tamp, and then it was tested by a soil engineer to insure for proper compaction in order to build on top of. With that said, if we go the route of building a pad, that would be on me or another contractor. Now that the wife is at the house and we can discuss repositioning, I think we are just going to try to move away from the rock. Admittedly, the pool won't be in the "ideal" spot, but there will still be a pool!!!!

Never build up a site with dirt. Always dig down. You will not find an expert here that will encourage you to build up with clay soil.

If you insist on building up, you can use road base aka 2 a modified and bring it in with 2-3" lifts and build up that way n run a plate compactor but that's the only way.

One gallon of water weighs 8lbs. Times that by how many gallons and add it to poorly compacted soil and you're pool could collapse.
I guess this statement is the one that gets me, "never build up a site with dirt". The site is currently dirt (plus the BFR), and is compacted (I guess you would really say settled) naturally by nature. 3 years ago this was a soy bean field, I am assuming that is enough time to reach proper occurring compaction due to the forces of nature. If that is the case, could not a "pile" of similar dirt as what is on site be brought in and set for 3 years to obtain the same compaction? I am asking for advice to expedite the process. So if the existing soils is compacted enough, why would soil of the same type that is trucked in not be able to reach the same compaction density?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.