Best way to Drain

Coolpool2008

Aug 22, 2010
I need to double check my numbers again tonight to confirm my cya is well over 120. And im sure it will be so what is the best way to drain? I think I'll need to drain a little more than half. Can i do it all in one shot? Or is it recommended to do a little at a time? I have a vinyl pool and vinyl covered stairs. Will draining affect the liner at all?

Thanks

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Yes, you need to be judicious. I also have vinyl covered steps, and the way my liner fits over them. I would be pretty reluctant to let the water uncover them. (although I have done so once without harm)

Can you do this? Can you set a hose to siphon from the deep end (or furthest end) and then set another refill hose to run simultaneously from the surface of the opposite end of the pool. Do not run the pump during this.

That will allow you to drain and refill simultaneously and I doubt you will get too much mixing.

You could even get really scientific and decide that your refill water is noticeably colder than the pool water in which case you may want to refill from the bottom of one end and siphon from the top of the other....allowing the colder refill water to stay on the bottom.

bk406

Dec 3, 2009
Central Massachusetts
duraleigh said:
I would be pretty reluctant to let the water uncover them. (although I have done so once without harm)

FWIW, I have vinyl covered stairs too ad have drained my pool down to about 6 inches in the shallow end and had no issue. YMMV.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Nearly all pools can be lowered 12 to 18 inches without any risk of problems. The only time that doesn't work is when you have an extremely high water table.

Other Threads of Interest