Best way to add large amounts of CYA to new pool

Thebybeebunch

May 9, 2020
Ft Mitchell Alabama
Ok my pump is finally operational. Now I need to add CYA. According to pool calculator I need 4 lbs 8oz. What is the best way to add that much? A little at a time with the sock/skimmer method? I got the granules. Instructions say add directly to skimmer but I have read this is not the best method. CYA is at 0.

Use the sock method. A thin knee high sock will hold 2# easily. Hang in front of the return. Try to keep the sock from hitting the wall of the pool.

I recently added 2lbs of CYA by the sock method. The first pound I left in the skimmer overnight. But it all just lumped up instead of dissolving. I then took the sock and started swishing it in the pool. The dissolved CYA quickly came out of the sock in a white cloud.
So for the second pound, I left the sock in the skimmer for about an hour so that the granules could dissolve and then repeated the swishing in the pool. It took about 5 minutes to empty the sock.

I just added 1 lb 14 oz CYA to my pool using the filter bag off a vacuum head. Tied it off and hung it in front of the return. It was soaked through within a couple of hours and I spent about 5 minutes squeezing it out of the filter bag.

In your case, Bybee, you'd just refill the sock or panty hose and repeat the process. Myself, being somewhat OCD, I'd check the CYA after the first sockful and recalculate if necessary. Just for grins and giggles, you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: vbertone
I just recently tried the sock method and the powder quickly made the skimmer look very similar to when I would pour the liquid version. I assume that the liquid is not a "solution" but rather a "suspension" that lodges into the filter and dissolve over time. It seems the sock just keeps the CYA from making a "glob" that might get stuck somewhere. FWIW, my CYA came as a very fine powder. Talc-like. Is that what other people tend to use?

Jay,

I have never seen talc-like CYA... ???

Bunch,

Keep in mind that if you need to add 4 lbs and 8 oz to get to your target level, you do not really want to add it all at once.. Add 3 lbs and wait a couple of days and test again, then add more.

You want to creep up on your target, to make sure you don't add more CYA than you need.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Up until now, I've relied on the liquid CYA. This is my first time with the solid form. FWIW, it says "cyanuric acid" and "stabilizer" "50 lbs". It came in a big blue bucket. It is definitely a fine powder. Fine enough to come out of the sock I put in the skimmer. Fine enough that it was a pain to get in the sock. Fine enough I told myself next time I would wear a mask. Odd.

Because of its powdery nature, that's why I thought I could easily make a slurry/suspension that would resemble the "liquid CYA" that I've used in the past. Would making a slurry out of this powder and using it like the liquid CYA be a bad idea?

Reactions: vbertone
I wouldn’t think it would matter as a solution or in its current state. It’s probably just a different manufacturer that has the powder that fine. I agree not to put all at once. Easier to add more then to remove water and stuff.

Last year I had 0 CYA upon opening. I always need to lower water level in the spring. This year I used a submersible pump a foot down to take the rain water and ice melt off the top. This worked well. Since the chemicals stratify [are heavier] I decided the best way to keep the chems in the pool was not to take water from the deep end.
I found CMY sticks about 5 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I used nylon bags that garlic comes in and suspended it from poles.
The big problem with this method is that it took 2 weeks to dissolve.
_DSC3876.jpghanging CYA Stick in front of return.jpg

I would also make sure your reagents are not expired for testing CYA because unless a lot of water was replaced from closing to opening this year perhaps the reagent is not making it cloudy enough to properly register all of it. CYA doesn’t disappear.

Last year I had 0 CYA upon opening. I always need to lower water level in the spring. This year I used a submersible pump a foot down to take the rain water and ice melt off the top. This worked well. Since the chemicals stratify [are heavier] I decided the best way to keep the chems in the pool was not to take water from the deep end.
I found CMY sticks about 5 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I used nylon bags that garlic comes in and suspended it from poles.
The big problem with this method is that it took 2 weeks to dissolve.
Great idea to skim the diluted water from the top!... I would think the biggest problem with this method is now your pool tastes like garlic.. at least you'll find no vampires sneaking in midnight swims in your pool;)

Ha Ha Ha no vampires!

This year I had 30 CYA upon opening using last years reagents. I needed to go to the pool store to get Borates and Phosphates tested. They had my CYA at 26 . I warmed my pool sample before I tested. Point was that the year before I lowered it from the bottom. This year TA was in better shape too.

I am bumping my CYA up a touch with 5-3 inch pucks of Trichlore. Then I will stop using them.

The powder sounds interesting.

I needed to go to the pool store to get Borates and Phosphates tested.
At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread.. you probably don't need to worry about phosphates. Most of the time the algae should be kept in check with Cl, that's the philosophy on the forum. Not saying there aren't special circumstances where they can be an issue, but in general it doesn't warrant concern.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.