Best SWG recommendations

CompuPool, AquaRite, and AutoPilot are all frequently recommended on the forum. CompuPool is very inexpensive and works well, AquaRite seems to be the best seller and is easy to find parts and service, and AutoPilot has the most features (and tends to be the most expensive).

Thanks guys. But since I am changing my pump to the itellipro 011018. Do you know which SWG works with the lower flow rates? I think the jandy 1400 needs a min flow rate of 30 gpms to produce chlorine. I think my new from last year Jandy got hit in the latest storm and want to change.
Thanks again
Rich

I generally run my Hayward EcoStar VS pump at 2000 RPMs just to maintain decent skimmer action. I have an AutoPilot and running around 1500 RPMs wasn't an issue for the salt/chlorine but again, skimmer action was mediocre so I run it a little higher. I have two skimmers at each end of the pool. I do like the AutoPilot Digital a lot.

Bought the auto pilot. What is the preferred wiring when combined with a pentair VS pump? Do we let the pump control everything or the intermatic timer? I plan on running the pump at the lowest speed overnight for filtration/energy savings and a few hours during the day for skimming.
Thanks

There are various ways to set things up with a variable speed pump and a SWG.

The simplest is to use an external timer to turn on both the pump and the SWG together. If you do this you lose the use of the fancy timer built into the pump, but you gain simplicity.

Another good option, somewhat more complex, is to get a current controlled relay. The relay will detect when the pump is running and turn on the SWG at those times. Finding and installing the correct relay is mildly annoying, but once setup this gives you more flexibility, specifically the use of the pumps native timer.

Of course, if you have an automation system that knows how to talk to the pump you just use that.

I like the idea of simplicity, however, if the pump runs longer I would just have to titrate % for chlorinator, right? I asked Josh this but to be sure I wouldn't harm the auto pilot if it ran and the flow was to low, correct?

Just trying to get ready for the install when I get it.

BTW Josh at saltpoolguys.com was terrific. Patience of a saint.

Thanks again Jason

My AutoPilot has a flow sensor so when the flow stops from the pump, the AutoPilot shuts of the cell. You will see an error on the AutoPilot to check flow but it works like a champ. That is how AutoPilot tech support suggested i set it up. My VS pump is on a timer via the Hayward OnCommand system and the AutoPilot is fed direct from the breaker panel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Generally it is best to use the flow switch as a backup ... not as the only method of preventing the SWG from generating. If the flow switch failed and the SWG started running with the pump off, explosive gas can accumulate.

So in theory I agree. I called AutoPilot to get their take and they claim they have never heard of any gas build up explosions happening with any of their gear. Honestly the tech seemed knowledgeable but quite baffled by my question. He also said turning the power off for any length of time causes the system to lose its programming so you would need to re-program pool size, cell type, power level etc... Apparently there is no internal battery. They recommend feeding their system from the breaker and letting the flow sensor control the on/off functionality of the cell. Is there any documented cases of an actual explosion happening from a salt system staying on while water flow was off? I am seriously curious because I will rewire mine tomorrow if there is a real concern.

There are some members here who know of the explosions happening ... maybe not with Autopilot equipment though.

I had never heard of the requirement for constant power on the Autopilot. I know the Hayward SWG manuals show the power supplied off the load side of the timer.

I don't know if the settings are actually lost if power is off for too long on the AutoPilot, I might have to experiment. However, it makes sense what he said since there is no internal battery.

I've heard of this explosion rumor too but I googled it and really couldn't find anything relevant so I wonder if anyone can attest to it first hand in the forum.

Maybe other systems don't have the flow sensor like the AutoPilot so they are required to be wired off the load side so it knows when to turn on and off.

There are no internal batteries in USB flash drives either ... yet they remember a lot of ones and zeros ;)

The Hayward has an external flow switch and recommends cutting the power.

I guess AutoPilot doesn't want to put writable media in their equipment. Although, I'd be happy if they put in an internal battery. That's totally worth the extra $3 if it in act loses memory.

Of course, I'm very curious so I am going to cut the power for 12 hours (my normal off cycle) and see if it loses programming. Stay tuned.

I am now wondering if my Hayward OnCommand will lose all it's programming over the winter when I kill the power.

mkmscr said:
I guess AutoPilot doesn't want to put writable media in their equipment. Although, I'd be happy if they put in an internal battery. That's totally worth the extra $3 if it in act loses memory.

Of course, I'm very curious so I am going to cut the power for 12 hours (my normal off cycle) and see if it loses programming. Stay tuned.

I am now wondering if my Hayward OnCommand will lose all it's programming over the winter when I kill the power.

FWIW, I have an AutoPilot Nano and it shuts-off everyday for about 16-17hrs when the pump shuts-off. The pool guy wired it in with the intermatic timer that controls the pump (not sure if that is right). It has never lost any of it's settings / memory.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.