Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Demand must be falling dramatically in NA. Hopefully the prices do. Walmart already got rid of chlorine and all summer stuff except the 100+ grills they can't sell.

I saw this too. I'm not entirely sure that is legal. seems like price gouging, no?
Bleach is $7/g at the grocery store, so $9 for more volume and 30% stronger doesn't seem like gouging. Although price of everything seems like gouging by corporate America! So glad I switched to salt in April, pretty much paid for the system in 1 year!

Bleach is $7/g at the grocery store, so $9 for more volume and 30% stronger doesn't seem like gouging. Although price of everything seems like gouging by corporate America! So glad I switched to salt in April, pretty much paid for the system in 1 year!
I was just at Lowe's (Katy, TX), had LC for $6 per gallon. It was dated from July & August mfg. date.
They had MA (31.45%), 2 gals for $18.

Just checked my local HD online and sure enough, $17.98 for a 2 pack. SF BAY AREA.. ugh ... WALMART is "out of stock" for their LC @ 4.95 / gal. Glad the temps are dropping for the season and I have 5 boxes of HD SHOCK on hand ... will have to do some serious reconsideration in 2023 about what to do to save a few $$. e.g., might switch back to CHOROX from COSTCO ??? Used it for 7 years before switching to HD SHOCK.

Just checked my local HD online and sure enough, $17.98 for a 2 pack. SF BAY AREA.. ugh ... WALMART is "out of stock" for their LC @ 4.95 / gal. Glad the temps are dropping for the season and I have 5 boxes of HD SHOCK on hand ... will have to do some serious reconsideration in 2023 about what to do to save a few $$. e.g., might switch back to CHOROX from COSTCO ??? Used it for 7 years before switching to HD SHOCK.
I used Sam's Clorox for several years, then grocery store bleach while 8.25%, then HD, then Walmart. Got too pricey last year, so bought $1000 SWG (Circulpool Edge-40) in March. I've had 4 gallons of Walmart 10% in my garage for 8 months with no use for it. 👍👍

Reactions: KJB1 and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hopefully encouraging news with regards to trichlor tablet availability and pricing for next year. Any chance that this will translate to lower prices on the liquid chlorine that most of us prefer?

If liquid chlorine prices don't drop (and tablet prices do), I'm going to strongly consider ramping down liquid use and ramping up tablet use (I currently use both, alternating as needed to keep CYA relatively stable). Even if I need to occasionally partially drain/refill, I'd probably still come out ahead vs paying $6-7/gallon for LC (especially considering reduced MA use while on tablets).

Reactions: mfifield01

Lowes seems to have the equivalent Kem-Teck 2-gallon packs for $11.98 everywhere; they show "in-store only" and don't show availability unfortunately, but reports generally have been that it's in stock. I don't know why HD has chosen to price theirs 50% higher nationwide, since they're usually competitive, but I would certainly consider that difference worth a trip to Lowes -- and to reward them by purchasing other things I needed there instead.

Hopefully encouraging news with regards to trichlor tablet availability and pricing for next year. Any chance that this will translate to lower prices on the liquid chlorine that most of us prefer?

If liquid chlorine prices don't drop (and tablet prices do), I'm going to strongly consider ramping down liquid use and ramping up tablet use (I currently use both, alternating as needed to keep CYA relatively stable). Even if I need to occasionally partially drain/refill, I'd probably still come out ahead vs paying $6-7/gallon for LC (especially considering reduced MA use while on tablets).
I will probably do something similar if LC goes up. I could dump 1/3 of the water a month, use trichlor, and it would cost about the same as current LC costs. This is based on my summer usage and current water rates.

Those of you who didn't like HD's chlorine @ $18/case of 4 should check the current HD price. It's now up to $30/case at my local HD (Florida). Guess I should have stocked up at $18.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Newdude and kul
Lowes still has it for about $11 for 2 gallons.
At this point the local pool supply is likely also a safer bet than Home Depot.

Reactions: Newdude
Those of you who didn't like HD's chlorine @ $18/case of 4 should check the current HD price. It's now up to $30/case at my local HD (Florida). Guess I should have stocked up at $18.
From my visits to Home Depot recently, it's not $18 for the 10% case of four gallons, but $18 for the 10% case of 2 gallons.

As far as I know, HD doesn't offer a case of four gallons (but I do get the HASA case of four gallons of 12.5% all the time).
I visit the store directly to exchange my HASA cases where I am happy that there is no packaging waste.
But there is gas costs that are a waste.

At the pool store, I exchange the HASA four-pack of 12.5% liquid bleach at a local pool supply house (at around six or seven dollars a gallon) where the current price from a quick phone call is $29.33 (including ~9% CA local sales tax) without a local coupon (that comes monthly in the snail mail) for a case of four ($7.33/gallon) and $21.80 (including ~9% CA local sales tax) with that coupon ($5.45/gallon) where the coupon gives you one gallon free out of four gallons.

But only one paper coupon is allowed per visit (they won't take copies or electronic versions as they say they have to hand them back to their HASA distributor to get the credit). And only one case is allowed per coupon.

I generally exchange four or five cases at a time (yes, I know the higher the percentage, the sooner it degrades to the lower slower-degrading percentages) so I only get the discount for the first case (it's a long drive to the pool store in an out of the way location so I can't easily stop by every few weeks just for liquid chlorine, and the coupons expire after a month anyway).

If there was an Internet source (with shipping) of either the two-packs or the four pack exchanges, everyone here would benefit from the possibility.
Is there?

Attachments

• hasa.jpg
    hasa.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6
  • lowes_chlorine.jpg
    lowes_chlorine.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 5
  • hdxchlorineprice.jpg
    hdxchlorineprice.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 6
  • walmart.jpg