Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

A guy walked in while I was in the store. He was buying 2 tanks of chlorine and Taylor reagents. I said "Trouble Free"? and he said "Nope, not having any issues." I was in a pool store and didn't press on telling the guy about TFP. We need business cards to hand out.

Reactions: CarolD
Members frequently ask "Where is the best place to buy liquid chlorine where I live?"

This thread is an attempt to consolidate all of the places you know of in your town so others can share in your good deal.

If you know a place that has a good deal on liquid chlorine, whether it is a pool store, janitorial supplier or whatever, reply to this thread with the name of the business, the details including price, concentration and quantity, and we'll add it to this list.

US Wide:

Walmart: $2.94 for 121oz of 8.25%. 29.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Sams Club: $9.47 for 3 count 121oz of 8.25%. 31.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Aldi's: ????

Alabama

Mobile: Pinch-A-Penny 2.5 gal refillable (10.5%) $8.99 initial, $6.08 refill ... 18.1 cents/oz of sodium hypochlorite

Alaska

Arizona

Check for a local HASA dealer who generally sell bulk chlorine at a good price

Tucson: E-Konomy Pool, 4912 E 22nd St, Refillable 4 gallons of 12% for $13.96 = 22.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Arkansas

California

San Rafael/Petaluma: Herb's Pool Service Refillable 4 gallons of 12.5% for $17.32. 27.1 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite
Shingle Springs/Cameron Park: Primo Supply Refillable 4 gallons of 12.5%

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Orlando: Pinch a Penny and Leslie's refillable 2.5 gallons of 10% for $5 after tax. 15.6 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Idaho: Fred Meyer has their 8.25% 121 oz jugs on sale for $2.69. 26.9 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Illinois

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Indiana

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Menards: $3.99 for one gallon of 12%. 26 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. On sale around Memorial Day as BOGO making it 13 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Raleigh: MVP Services, 5813 Triangle Dr $13.50 for 5 gallons. of 12%. 17.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Dallas: Riviera Pools 12.6% HASA Chlorine for $22 for 4 gallons. 34.1 cents per gallon of sodium hypochlorite.

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Northern California/Nationwide

HDX 10% Chlorinating liquid at Home Depot: 2-gallon pack for$8.98 ($0.351/oz - standardized to 100% chlorine on poolmath calculator)

If you buy 4 cases at once (8 gallons total), the cost goes down to $8.08 each ($0.316/oz - standardized to 100% chlorine on poolmath calculator)

At my local HASA, it comes out to $0.49/oz-standardized to 100% chlorine on poolmath). Pricey, to be sure, but great to have a place to get it that's 5 minutes away!

HDX 10% Chlorinating liquid at Home Depot: 2-gallon pack for$8.98 ($0.351/oz - standardized to 100% chlorine on poolmath calculator)

If you buy 4 cases at once (8 gallons total), the cost goes down to $8.08 each ($0.316/oz - standardized to 100% chlorine on poolmath calculator)

At my local HASA, it comes out to $0.49/oz-standardized to 100% chlorine on poolmath). Pricey, to be sure, but great to have a place to get it that's 5 minutes away!

Actually Home Depot also sells a 3 pack for $9.99 and you can get a $1 discount per package if you buy 4. My only issue is I seem to get old batches

Actually Home Depot also sells a 3 pack for $9.99 and you can get a $1 discount per package if you buy 4. My only issue is I seem to get old batches

Houston Home Depot's have been out for weeks of the 3 packs. I can only find the overpriced 2 packs for $8.98. Wal-Mart's I've checked are sold out too. Definitely getting poached for Covid deep cleans.

Any luck from anyone else along the gulf freeway?

Houston Home Depot's have been out for weeks of the 3 packs. I can only find the overpriced 2 packs for $8.98. Wal-Mart's I've checked are sold out too. Definitely getting poached for Covid deep cleans.

Any luck from anyone else along the gulf freeway?
The likes of HD and Walmart have let their inventory deplete as the summer is winding down. I have had success at Leslie's (12.5%) but they recently raised their price of a 4gal box from $17 to $20. Also, Pinch a Penny sells 2.5gal jugs (10.5%) which work on a refillable process (similar to propane bottles) - each refill is $8. . I also looked at Texsun which had "some" inventory but it was $9 per gallon - outrageous. Hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Has The Home Depot discontinued the bulk purchase discount (4+ cases, 10% off)? I’ve been doing this for the past few years, but when I went to get my four cases yesterday, Escondido CA 92025...no discount. Very disappointing, if so. :(
I might need to find a HASA dealer nearby.

My market does not have a supplier of LC at the beginning of the season or after mid August. Only Ollies Warehouse carries it, and it's seasonal. We have pool stores but none carry liquid product. I usually respond with the lack of LC by using regular bleach since I'm not using much chlorine during those parts of the year anyway, and it's usually almost as cheap as LC, but this year, they have smaller jugs and expensive prices on bleach.

Therefore, since September, I've been chlorinating with cal hypo 73% starting out at CH 50. Mixing is no fun and neither is the gunk that falls out on the bottom. I have almost 1 full, one-pound bag left, but tested CH, and I'm now at 300. I was at Food Lion yesterday to get bleach; a southeastern grocery store chain owned by a Dutch corporation. Found their store brand, regular 81 ounce bleach for $2.99; no percentage listed, which I did not realize until I got home. Ironically that's what I was paying for 10% LC full gallons during the Spring and Summer. The Clorox brand 121 oz was over $6 at 7.5% sodium hypochlorite. Anyway, date code was good on all their product. The label states that it's "cleaning power" equals their former 121 ounce product, which I assume was 6% sodium hypochlorite as was all store brand and name brand bleach last year. Some of you may remember up until a few years ago, the brands had moved to from 6% to 8.25%, but a couple years ago, they all secretely moved back to six percent and kept the word "concentrated"on the label. It does say that it contains sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide (lye) on the label, which all makes me believe it has a higher-than-six-percent sodium hypochlorite level and thus needed lye added to stabilize the more concentrated product, but maybe not. I noticed also that it recommends 1/3 cup to a gallon of water for general cleaning; same as the latest Clorox formulation, which is now at that 7 1/2% sodium hypochlorite level. I've tried to find the SDS sheet and the manufacturer via the upc number and CAS# for bleach to find out but with no success. Food Town comes up as the manufacturer in Salisbury, NC; aka Food Lion using the CAS# search at a gov't website, which cannot be true. They manufacture nothing. I emailed Food Lion for info.

I think I'm going to dose based on the assumption that it's 7.5%. If you extrapolate their claim that 81 ounces now has the same cleaning power as the former 121 ounce and assume that all the extra cleaning power is in the form of more sodium hypochlorite, then that would put it at 8.4%, but cleaning power is not necessarily the same as saying it has that much more sodium hypochlorite. They could consider the added lye itself as adding cleaning power, and I'm guessing that's what they're doing; and it's really either 7.5% or 6% sodium hypochlorite. What do y'all think?

So I just came back from Home Depot in Richmond/Katy area and I'm both happy and seriously annoyed. HDX 3 pack of 10% LC is now $12.98, with no discount for purchasing quantity 4. They have raised the price by 45%!

On a good note, the chlorine was fresh fresh fresh! Date was 323, so bottled 2 days ago. Plus, this Home Depot stores the LC inside the store, unlike most, which store them in the garden center, in the heat. Now, you may be saying, but it's November, why worry about the heat??? This is Texas, folks...already 80 degrees on the way up this afternoon....

Reactions: HermanTX
Home Depots in Phx area has the HDX 10% for $9.98 o_O for 2 gallons and also the higher percentage available. Is it worth it to stock up? How long before the Chlorine starts to degrade? I worry with the way things are going Ill show up and it will be wiped clean one day.

Last edited:
Check out your favorite salt pool conversion store either brick and motor or online for a permanent fix. I did this a couple years ago and I'm sooooo glad to be free from the chlorine hunt and the jug-lugging!

Walmart in Katy (west of Houston) is 3.74 for one gallon of 10%. That beats the new HD prices easily. Leslies 12.5% used to be 4.00 in a box of four for 15.99. Then they went to 16.99, then during the early months of pandemic panic, went to 19.99. So now I have Walmart 3.75 (for $4.68 adjusted to 12.5% equivalent) or HD at 4.33 ($5.42 at 12.5% equivalent) or Leslies at $5.00. I hate to say it, but considering the ease of handling at Leslies (drive up to the door, carry out a 4-pack in a convenient box with hand holds) for a little more than Walmart or a little less than HD--and without having to go in Walmart of HD.

Pinch a Penny has some kind of refill deal with a 2.5 gallon reusable container that you have to buy for about $10 to start. The guy I asked there about the strength was unsure but added, "I'm sure it's as strong as you can get." Really? Last quotes I got for a SWCG install were not that appealing, and now with pools under construction everywhere, it's probably worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support