Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Seems like a good idea, but I have a few questions: Don't you folks worry about the chlorine deterioration with that quantity? Especially if HD stores it outside prior to delivery? Where do you folks store the jugs while at home? Are you able to see the manufacturer date prior to ordering?

My order of 18 gallons is not a lot, and isn't a lot for most folks unless you have a small pool. My pool uses a gallon per day, so my 18 gallon order will be used up quickly. Deterioration isn't an issue. I'm only adding chlorine manually while I sort out an issue with my SWCG with my pool builder.

You don't get to see the manufacturing date before ordering. However, as a practical matter, chlorine is selling out quickly, so any new shipments are freshly manufactured, as confirmed by the manufacturing dates on the order I just received, and I doubt they sit outside for very long.

I can't stress how nice it was to have the 18 gallons just sitting in front of my house delivered, rather than having to drive to Home Depot, load up 18 gallons into a cart, check out, and then unload it at the house.

Reactions: GDN and DanF
Sounds good...yeah your pool is twice the size of mine so you'd go through it faster. Can't believe HD doesn't offer the 3 pack in the Phoenix area. :mad:

Since Menards is apparently not going to have their usual B1G1 sale this year, I took a look at our local Woodman's in Buffalo Grove, IL to see if they carried the pool shock that @IceShadow mentioned above and found that they do so for those near the Buffalo Grove Woodman's I can confirm that the price is 9.99 for 4 gallons of 12.5% pool shock. I found it stacked up in the housewares aisle. It is dated 20115 and they had plenty with no purchase limit

For those of us in Scarberia (Toronto,Ontario, Canada) Cederbrae Pools will fill your 20L bulk container for CA$11.95 (plus Horrible Stupid Tax). We had 2 20L containers under the deck, got them both filled for $27. Don't know if this is a couple of weeks worth or a months worth, certainly is cheaper then the $50/wk we paid last year for the pool company....

For some reason, neither Lowes nor Home Depot carry pool chlorine in our area. We've been buying at Wal Mart & Leslie's. A SWCG is in our future!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone knows where I can buy Chlorine in bulk. I can find 1 gallon jugs on store but I am considering adding an automation so it would be sweet If i can find a place where I can buy 15-20 gallons at a time to fill a tank. I called couple place but they only work with commercial pools.

If you have a liquid chlorine pump how do you get your chlorine otherwise? 1 gallon at a time and dump it to tank?

Looking in Northern Virginia, I could drive around an hour as long as there is a brewery at the end of the road.

Anyone knows where I can buy Chlorine in bulk. I can find 1 gallon jugs on store but I am considering adding an automation so it would be sweet If i can find a place where I can buy 15-20 gallons at a time to fill a tank. I called couple place but they only work with commercial pools.

If you have a liquid chlorine pump how do you get your chlorine otherwise? 1 gallon at a time and dump it to tank?

Looking in Northern Virginia, I could drive around an hour as long as there is a brewery at the end of the road.
I have a pump and 15g tank. I but 12g at a time from HD. A bit of a pain, but light.

Reactions: GDN
Tom Thumb (owned by Safeway/Albertsons) in Dallas, TX areas has off brand (believe Sun-Brite) 6% bleach for $1.67. Showing that sale price as valid through end of 2020. It's a lot of jugs to carry around but is slightly cheaper unit price than the $8.98 3-pack of 10% from Home Depot. These were fresh and stored inside - the date was somewhere in the 201xx (so at most a couple months old).

I have a pump and 15g tank. I but 12g at a time from HD. A bit of a pain, but light.
This is the way I get it too. I've been checking HD quite often as the supply is not quite what it was last year, but with so many stores in a 10 mile area (DFW, TX) one of them always has some stock on hand. Looks like every store runs out for a day or two, then they get another pallet. So I just check online (they will let you see the stock at all local stores from their web site.) Then I pick up 9 to 12 gallons. It's all used in 4 to 5 weeks.

I'm having more trouble with muriatic acid than I am with bleach. The first time I went, my local hardware store had a gallon on the shelf of 20 degree Baum for $5. Awesome, I thought. But, he hasn't had any at all since.

I also haven't been able to get any from HD. They have had "Kleanstrip" "green" muriatic acid, that is advertised to not smell as bad as regular. I think it's either a weak concentration, or a MA substitute.

Howe, today they just now show REAL m.a. in stock on the website.
I have not purchased any recently but in the past I got it from ACE. You have to ask for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support