Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

New pool owner here, just wanted to add what I found today for liquid bleach. My local Walmart (Northeast Iowa) has a generic 10% for $3.64 for 128oz then our local Farm Fleet had the same for $3.29. Not as cheap maybe as some larger cities but I live in a very small town and closest larger cities are an hour away.

Reactions: splashpad
Lowe's Home Improvement in Greensboro, NC had about 75 bottles of the 10% pool essentials as of this morning. I got 5 more just because of all the dumping of my pool water with the 14" of rain over the past ten days, I went through more than I would have liked...

Lowe's Home Improvement in Greensboro, NC had about 75 bottles of the 10% pool essentials as of this morning. I got 5 more just because of all the dumping of my pool water with the 14" of rain over the past ten days, I went through more than I would have liked...
I'm not too far from you, and I've dumped at least that much in the past week. More, I think. I had to dump about a "step"'s worth last night because it was almost running over.

This has kinda been good for me. Our CH and CYA levels are a bit high.

To echo a previous post (can't find it now) I went to Atwoods and they have bleach (5.25%) for $1.19/gallon. Kind of a pain for more bottles, but its like BOGO compared with 10% bleach at Lowes for $3.98

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has anyone tried ordering online from Home Depot and having it delivered to your house? I just placed that type of order for six cases of 3 gallons each (18 gallons total) for $9 per case ($3 per gallon). This is for the HDX Chlorinating Liquid, which is 10% chlorine. HD also charges $9 for delivery, but the convenience is worth it to me, assuming this actually works.

Has anyone tried ordering online from Home Depot and having it delivered to your house? I just placed that type of order for six cases of 3 gallons each (18 gallons total) for $9 per case ($3 per gallon). This is for the HDX Chlorinating Liquid, which is 10% chlorine. HD also charges $9 for delivery, but the convenience is worth it to me, assuming this actually works.

I did this in April, ordered 6 cases for a total of 18 bottles for $9 delivery. It worked out great. I tried to do it again yesterday and only one store, out of 5 nearby HD stores, had 2 cases in stock. These cases were not 3 gallon cases either but 2 gallon cases selling for a dollar cheaper than the 3 bottle case. Def get it while you can.

Last edited:
Depending on the pool surface, excess calcium is not desirable. Stabilized pool shock adds more CYA. None of those are good in the long-term or frequent usage
I don't have high CH, and rely on my SWG for most of my chlorine needs. At the beginning of the COVID-19 situation, I ordered a bunch of cal hypo in powdered form to have on hand. I've used that when our chlorine needed a bump with no ill effects. We were able to get Home Depot contactless pick up of their liquid chlorine later, and will use that when needed now. With the powder it takes a little longer to be crystal clear.

I did this in April, ordered 6 cases for a total of 18 bottles for $9 delivery. It worked out great. I tried to do it again yesterday and only one store, out of 5 nearby HD stores, had 2 cases in stock. These cases were not 3 gallon cases either but 2 gallon cases selling for a dollar cheaper than the 3 bottle case. Def get it while you can.
Seems like a good idea, but I have a few questions: Don't you folks worry about the chlorine deterioration with that quantity? Especially if HD stores it outside prior to delivery? Where do you folks store the jugs while at home? Are you able to see the manufacturer date prior to ordering?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support