Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Just picked up 6 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine from Wally World in NW Arkansas. $3.64/gallon.
Same in the New Orleans area WalMarts for those in SE Louisiana.

(Man, this area is such a liquid-chlorine-product wasteland. 12.5% chlorine is against the law. No pool stores carry liquid chlorine at all. No Ollie's or Menard's or similar stores around here. Our local WalMarts get a big shipment of 10% in April, a second shipment in mid-May, and just sells that stock until it's gone by mid-July.)

Last edited:
Members frequently ask "Where is the best place to buy liquid chlorine where I live?"

This thread is an attempt to consolidate all of the places you know of in your town so others can share in your good deal.

If you know a place that has a good deal on liquid chlorine, whether it is a pool store, janitorial supplier or whatever, reply to this thread with the name of the business, the details including price, concentration and quantity, and we'll add it to this list.

US Wide:

Walmart: $2.94 for 121oz of 8.25%. 29.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Sams Club: $9.47 for 3 count 121oz of 8.25%. 31.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Aldi's: ????

Alabama

Mobile: Pinch-A-Penny 2.5 gal refillable (10.5%) $8.99 initial, $6.08 refill ... 18.1 cents/oz of sodium hypochlorite

Alaska

Arizona

Check for a local HASA dealer who generally sell bulk chlorine at a good price

Tucson: E-Konomy Pool, 4912 E 22nd St, Refillable 4 gallons of 12% for $13.96 = 22.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Arkansas

California

San Rafael/Petaluma: Herb's Pool Service Refillable 4 gallons of 12.5% for $17.32. 27.1 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Orlando: Pinch a Penny and Leslie's refillable 2.5 gallons of 10% for $5 after tax. 15.6 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Idaho: Fred Meyer has their 8.25% 121 oz jugs on sale for $2.69. 26.9 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Illinois

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Indiana

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Menards: $3.99 for one gallon of 12%. 26 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. On sale around Memorial Day as BOGO making it 13 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Raleigh: MVP Services, 5813 Triangle Dr $13.50 for 5 gallons. of 12%. 17.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Dallas: Riviera Pools 12.6% HASA Chlorine for $22 for 4 gallons. 34.1 cents per gallon of sodium hypochlorite.

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Oklahoma - Atwood’s Ranch & Home Online Packaging Pool Shock, 1 gallon - $1.99/gal “Online Pool Shock” - 10% sodium hypochlorite

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same in the New Orleans area WalMarts for those in SE Louisiana.

(Man, this area is such a liquid-chlorine-product wasteland. 12.5% chlorine is against the law. No pool stores carry liquid chlorine at all. No Ollie's or Menard's or similar stores around here. Our local WalMarts get a big shipment of 10% in April, a second shipment in mid-May, and just sells that stock until it's gone by mid-July.)

UPDATE:

This past Saturday, our local Home Depot had 3-jug boxes of HDX Chlorinating Liquid (10%) stacked in their pool-supplies area. Note that this is NOT HDX's Germicidal Bleach located in cleaning supplies -- this is 10% chlorine meant for pools.

Anyway, each box is three gallons (128 oz) of 10% chlorine. Price per box is $9.98 -- but if you buy four or more boxes, the price drops to $8.98/box. So if you can buy 12 gallons (3 per box x 4), that gets you down to $2.99/gal for 10% -- compare to the local WalMart's best price of $3.64/gal.

The best part? Our Home Depot got a new shipment with Julian dates ranging from "19 151" - "19 162" (May 31 - June 11, 2019). Note: Our Home Depot ALSO had boxes with "18 333" (Nov 29, 2018) on display -- check dates carefully!

Reactions: Oly
I have confirmed that Ollie's in Lewisville TX has 10% liquid chlorine (Austin Pool Shock) for 2.99 /gallon stored inside. Julian dates were 19 093.

Thanks for the info! I had never heard of Ollie's until I looked at this thread tonight. I will have to check it out, especially since so close to me in Lewisville. That makes it the same price as Home Depot if you buy 4 3-packs. Since I do not have a cool place to store it without bringing it inside the house, I prefer to not buy that much at a time, especially during the summer. Both HD and now this Ollie's is close enough to pick-up 3-6 gallons at a time.

Edit to add: Just checked out Ollie's website and online ad. Realized their Lewisville store is in the old Toys R Us location. Just two weeks ago, I went to my favorite local Japanese Hibachi restaurant in that same strip center. Can't believe I missed seeing it--drove right past it twice to and from. Call me oblivious, I guess! LOL Interesting mix of stuff. Will definitely check them out for liquid chlorine but it looks like they may have some cheap stuff I don't need but will occasionally want. Area rugs, outdoor chair cushions, pool floats, outdoor solar lights, cheap LED bulbs ($1 each for regular 60w equivalent dimmable). Heck, they even had the Mueller Report for $5.99. Ha!

I am still bummed that all the grocery stores are now selling only 6% or less bleach. Winco in Lewisville or Denton was my go-to for the past two summers as they would have 121oz of 8.25% for $2 all the time and sometimes as low as $1.50. Then 8.25% from Aldi would be my backup plan. But no more. More expensive at all places and only 6%.

Curious (maybe it was mentioned earlier in the thread, sorry if so) why the drop in strength and rise in price? I get the rise in price to a point. Everything goes up in price over time. But was there some new federal regulation about selling bleach for laundry purposes above 6%? Seems strange that everyone made the change within one year. Did a manufacturer/bottler/distributor (whatever it would be) go out of business or merge? A conspiracy I tell ya!!! They are taking advantage of all of us folks that started using 8.25% bleach for our pools. I do know that in the Lewisville Winco, I became known as "the guy buying all that bleach for his pool" by a couple of cashiers that I would regularly go through their line. Did we cause this?!?!?! LOL

Last edited:
Here in southeast Florida the best buy that I have found it still the pool supply stores refilling 2-1/2 gallon yellow jugs with 10% chlorine for about $5 or a little less.

Considering the cost and effort of driving to a pool supply store, I have made an arrangement with a pool care operator who services several houses in my neighborhood. I text him my order for chemicals, e.g. chlorine, muriatic acid, the day before he services my neighborhood and he drops it off beside my house.

It reminds me of when I was a kid and we had a milkman and a breadman who delivered their products to our house. The prices that I have negotiated are competitive with the pool store but I don't have to do the driving and the lifting.

Of course this all depends upon your local pool service guys being agreeable to do this sort of thing. It has worked out great for me. The savings in time, effort, and car/truck expenses makes it really a good deal.

Considering the cost and effort of driving to a pool supply store, I have made an arrangement with a pool care operator who services several houses in my neighborhood. I text him my order for chemicals, e.g. chlorine, muriatic acid, the day before he services my neighborhood and he drops it off beside my house.
Wow! You are very lucky to have that arrangement! I highly doubt most pool service folks would be willing to do that. Maybe he has a crush on you? :ROFLMAO:

I’m actually from GA so I’d take the higher cost for liquid chlorine. Tulsa is a nice place but they don’t particularly like me cheering for the DAWGS.
Another Georgia to Oklahoma transplant, eh? Howdy!! There are some things I miss from Georgia, but the craziness that is Atlanta (all the PEOPLE!!!) finally drove us away. So far, I love living in flyover country...well, except those Sooner fans...BOO!!! GO DAWGS!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support