Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Any favorite places in the Dallas area? I usually go to Home Depot for the 3 pack of 10% for 9.99. However, they store it outside in the lawn and garden area so it doesn't seem to be full strength.

amryan...looks like Home Depot, at least to start the season, will be my go-to source. Winco and sometimes Aldi had been my previous go-to, but with the switch to 6% and same or higher prices, the three-jug of 10% for $10 is the best deal I have found in DFW. I am wondering if this change to 6% is a new state or federal regulation? Or did the stores catch on that we pool owners are cleaning out their stock of chlorine and figured they could get away with a price increase or strength decrease? I don't like them messing with my money...governments or corporations...

I just bought some this weekend at Home Depot and the date code indicated late Feb 2019 mfr. Like you, I worry with it sitting outside in lawn and garden--but not until July. It is in a shaded part of the garden center, so until the temps reach a daily high in the 90s, probably not much different than it sitting in an un-airconditioned warehouse or truck trailer. Even inside the store, it is probably 72-75 degrees, so not much different than outside right now in DFW. But yeah, come July-August, I worry that it will break down quicker outside. But until I find a new source with at least 8.25% in 121/128 oz, it is the best (only?) deal right now.

Pinch a Penny Pool just opened a location in McKinney, TX. They sell a 2.5 gallon liquid chlorinator for about $15, then you can refill it from their tank for $7.88 (this weekend starting on the 4th they have a sale for 10% off each). I asked about the strength...they told me it's labeled as 10.5%, but its actually about 12% (not sure about that).

Thanks for the info. Never heard of them before. I am in Denton area, so not a good enough deal to drive over for chlorine but maybe they will eventually open one closer--Carrollton/Lewisville/Denton would all be reasonably close for me. I will have to pop in just to check out what they are selling. It will be good to get brick and mortar competition for Leslie's. I try to buy online, but there are those occasions that you need a part "yesterday" and I have to suck it up and go to Leslie's.

If you have HEB, it's a good deal, and fresh.

If only...and not just for chlorine! I love HEB but the only ones near DFW are in Burleson, Waxahachie, Cleburne, and Stephenville. That is nearly an hour from me in north DFW without traffic. Years ago there used to be one in Plano near my work but it is long gone for 15 years or more. It is a shame because there is so much I like about what they stock, their quality, and prices. Whataburger Spicy Ketchup!!!

Had a friend that used to live in Waxahachie and when I would visit her, we would always pop in to the HEB so I could grab some things. But just too far for any regular grocery shopping...or chlorine.

I just wanted to remind anyone in the Raleigh/Durham NC area that there is a decent deal on 12.5% very close to the Angus Barn restaurant. I stopped by MVP Services this past Friday and got a five gallon jug for $15. When I added a few cups to my pool on Saturday morning, I discovered it was actually closer to 14%. It's at 5813 Triangle Drive just off Glenwood Ave (US-70) near Interstate 540.

The guy that works at the front desk said they get a shipment of fresh chlorine about once a week during the summertime (they mostly supply folks who have a power washing service).

Last edited:
After a week with no bleach on HEB shelves, it's back. Now it's 6% ☹️ (still labelled "concentrated"). Time to check out the HD stock.

I think I got the last 4 cases of 2019 at HD. 2019-60, not bad. Most other was 2018! Hope the restock on a month or so. $3/g 10% is as good as HEB's 8% was.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked two Wal Marts yesterday...both had only 2018 stuff at $3.64 per gallon....I decided to pass. Will wait for new stuff.

I think someone mentioned that they are selling 3 packs now (last year they sometimes had 2 packs at a slight discount). Anyone seeing that?

In Texas, HEB sells 8.25% bleach. 121oz bottles for $2.67. Best deal I've seen so far. I have been checking the Julian dates and everything I've gotten so far was bottled less than 30 days ago.

In Texas, HEB sells 8.25% bleach. 121oz bottles for $2.67. Best deal I've seen so far. I have been checking the Julian dates and everything I've gotten so far was bottled less than 30 days ago.
Closest HEB is over an hour away here in North Dallas burbs...sucks...great bleach and our favorite grocery store in general....Kroger has the market cornered in my neck of the woods.

Well, I'm hearing disapointing news about HEB's Bravo bleach that has been my go-to product for years. It had always been $2.94 a gallon for their 8.25% strength. You may recall a couple years ago Walmart changed their laundry bleach from 8.25% down to 6% strength. I'm hearing that HEB did the same with their Bravo bleach - 6%. That's what I'm hearing up in Austin. Here in S.A. the shelves have been bare for about 3 weeks pending receipt of the new stock. If they did in-fact lower their strength to 6%, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Today I made note of the following here in the San Antonio area:
- Home Depot: 3-pack (gallons) of HDX pool chlorine is $9.98 at 10% strength
- Walmart: Great Value laundry bleach: $2.67 per gallon of 6% strength
- Walmart: Pool Essentials chlorine: $3.64 per gallon at 10% strength
- Leslies Pools: 4-pack of Liquid Shock chlorine is $22.00 at 10% strength
- HEB: Regular Bravo $2.67 per gallon ay 6% strength (?)

Well, I'm hearing disapointing news about HEB's Bravo bleach that has been my go-to product for years. It had always been $2.94 a gallon for their 8.25% strength. You may recall a couple years ago Walmart changed their laundry bleach from 8.25% down to 6% strength. I'm hearing that HEB did the same with their Bravo bleach - 6%. That's what I'm hearing up in Austin. Here in S.A. the shelves have been bare for about 3 weeks pending receipt of the new stock. If they did in-fact lower their strength to 6%, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Today I made note of the following here in the San Antonio area:
- Home Depot: 3-pack (gallons) of HDX pool chlorine is $9.98 at 10% strength
- Walmart: Great Value laundry bleach: $2.67 per gallon of 6% strength
- Walmart: Pool Essentials chlorine: $3.64 per gallon at 10% strength
- Leslies Pools: 4-pack of Liquid Shock chlorine is $22.00 at 10% strength
- HEB: Regular Bravo $2.67 per gallon ay 6% strength (?)

Leslies....wow! $5.50 per gallon!

That’s weird. The H-E-B bleach I have says 8.25 but it isn’t getting me to where it should when I add it. Wonder if there a way to test it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support