Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Bootaa

May 27, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
We get nearly all of ours from Wal-Mart. Last batch I bought was only 5 days old. It's not uncommon for them to be out of stock so I check online first. Walmart also stocks 2-packs for something like $9/box (2-pack) so avoid those.

Looks like Lowes recently increased their price. My nearby Lowes stores the chlorine outside in the sun and it's pretty old.
Thanks. My Walmart carries 1-gal ones (dated 2017) and 2-pack boxes (dated 2016). Which Walmart do you buy from?
1594940976657.png

shadyoak44

Jul 16, 2020
Martinsburg, WV
Members frequently ask "Where is the best place to buy liquid chlorine where I live?"

This thread is an attempt to consolidate all of the places you know of in your town so others can share in your good deal.

If you know a place that has a good deal on liquid chlorine, whether it is a pool store, janitorial supplier or whatever, reply to this thread with the name of the business, the details including price, concentration and quantity, and we'll add it to this list.

US Wide:

Walmart: $2.94 for 121oz of 8.25%. 29.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Sams Club: $9.47 for 3 count 121oz of 8.25%. 31.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.
Aldi's: ????

[HR][/HR]

Alabama

Mobile: Pinch-A-Penny 2.5 gal refillable (10.5%) $8.99 initial, $6.08 refill ... 18.1 cents/oz of sodium hypochlorite
[HR][/HR]
Alaska
[HR][/HR]
Arizona

Check for a local HASA dealer who generally sell bulk chlorine at a good price

Tucson: E-Konomy Pool, 4912 E 22nd St, Refillable 4 gallons of 12% for $13.96 = 22.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

[HR][/HR]
Arkansas
[HR][/HR]
California

San Rafael/Petaluma: Herb's Pool Service Refillable 4 gallons of 12.5% for $17.32. 27.1 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite

[HR][/HR]
Colorado
[HR][/HR]
Connecticut
[HR][/HR]
Delaware
[HR][/HR]
Florida

Orlando: Pinch a Penny and Leslie's refillable 2.5 gallons of 10% for $5 after tax. 15.6 cents/oz. of sodium hypochlorite

[HR][/HR]
Georgia
[HR][/HR]
Hawaii
[HR][/HR]
Idaho

Idaho: Fred Meyer has their 8.25% 121 oz jugs on sale for $2.69. 26.9 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

[HR][/HR]
Illinois

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

[HR][/HR]
Indiana

Rural King stores: $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10%. Frequently on sale for $7.99 and even $6.99 around Memorial Day. 19.5 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $9.99. 15.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $7.99. 13.7 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite at $6.99.

Menards: $3.99 for one gallon of 12%. 26 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. On sale around Memorial Day as BOGO making it 13 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

[HR][/HR]
Iowa
[HR][/HR]
Kansas
[HR][/HR]
Kentucky
[HR][/HR]
Louisiana
[HR][/HR]
Maine
[HR][/HR]
Maryland
[HR][/HR]
Massachusetts
[HR][/HR]
Michigan
[HR][/HR]
Minnesota
[HR][/HR]
Mississippi
[HR][/HR]
Missouri
[HR][/HR]
Montana
[HR][/HR]
Nebraska
[HR][/HR]
Nevada
[HR][/HR]
New Hampshire
[HR][/HR]
New Jersey
[HR][/HR]
New Mexico
[HR][/HR]
New York
[HR][/HR]
North Carolina

Raleigh: MVP Services, 5813 Triangle Dr $13.50 for 5 gallons. of 12%. 17.6 cents per ounce of sodium hypochlorite.

[HR][/HR]
North Dakota
[HR][/HR]
Ohio
[HR][/HR]
Oklahoma
[HR][/HR]
Oregon

[HR][/HR]
Pennsylvania
[HR][/HR]
Rhode Island
[HR][/HR]
South Carolina
[HR][/HR]
South Dakota
[HR][/HR]
Tennessee
[HR][/HR]
Texas

Dallas: Riviera Pools 12.6% HASA Chlorine for $22 for 4 gallons. 34.1 cents per gallon of sodium hypochlorite.

[HR][/HR]
Utah
[HR][/HR]
Vermont
[HR][/HR]
Virginia
[HR][/HR]
Washington

[HR][/HR]
West Virginia
[HR][/HR]
Wisconsin
[HR][/HR]
Wyoming
[HR][/HR]
To all,
I am also a newbie on this forum. I need to add chlorine (bleach) to my pool which has a volume of 15,360 gallons. What would be the amount I add in ounces based upon 3 ppm? 63.6 ounces?

PoolNewb2020

May 7, 2020
Lathrop, CA
In my area walmart seems to have the freshest stock. Home hardware was, maybe still is, running a sale on their liquid chlorine at $2.99/Gal, but when I arrived at my local store, all of the bottles were from day 054 2020. No thanks.

griffths

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2011
Long Grove, IL
Not the absolute best price especially since Woodmans also sells 12.5% pool "shock" for 2.50./gal but they also sell 5.25% regular bleach for 1.59/gal.

In case they are out of "shock" this would be an OK substitution.

Also, they do not appear to be rationing bleach anymore, at least there was not a sign indicating they were but YMMV.

Bleach price tag.jpg Bleach bottle.jpg

Bootaa

May 27, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
To all,
I am also a newbie on this forum. I need to add chlorine (bleach) to my pool which has a volume of 15,360 gallons. What would be the amount I add in ounces based upon 3 ppm? 63.6 ounces?
Download the poolmath app, it calculates what you need. Please be aware, the amount you need depends on your CYA level too.
PS: How did you get 360 in 15,360 gallons?

Durangler

Jul 4, 2020
Peoria, AZ
Ok... Help a guy out. Pretty new to this forum.
So, where do you find and how do you read the date code on a liquid chlorine bottle.
Picked up 4 gallons at WalMart last weekend, $3.64 gal... then 4 gal today from Ace $2.99,
I see black text along the bottom of the jugs. Need the code...

blazer58

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Chicago, IL
Ok... Help a guy out. Pretty new to this forum.
So, where do you find and how do you read the date code on a liquid chlorine bottle.
Picked up 4 gallons at WalMart last weekend, $3.64 gal... then 4 gal today from Ace $2.99,
I see black text along the bottom of the jugs. Need the code...
Most use a Julian date code