Best option protective layer on top of rocky clay soil

lack2000

Jun 26, 2019
Oklahoma city
So I just finished removing the sod for my 18 foot round intex gap. I am working on leveling now, but I need advice for cheapest layer of protection from the rocky clay soil. I plan on putting 2 tarps down over the soil once it is leveled before I put the next protective layer. Should I go with sand, foam board, or something else? I have already blown my budget so far so I need the cheapest option to keep my wife happy lol. I attached a picture of the spot for the pool. Thanks!

Attachments

• Attach52248_20190701_102247.jpg
    Attach52248_20190701_102247.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Foam board seems to be very popular. I've also heard of insualtion panels and Gorrilla Pads depending upon the nature of your soil, amount of rocks, and tendancy of weeds/grass to try and grow-up through the material. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! We decided to go with a gorilla pad. One other question. we have finished leveling, but there is one spot in one corner that was about an inch off from the rest. I dont have it in me to dig out the rest of the circle (I'm covered with blisters and bruises) just to line it up with that one low spot. I have added a little clay dirt to that one spot and tampered it down. Is there anything else I should do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.