Best option protective layer on top of rocky clay soil

lack2000

Jun 26, 2019
Oklahoma city
So I just finished removing the sod for my 18 foot round intex gap. I am working on leveling now, but I need advice for cheapest layer of protection from the rocky clay soil. I plan on putting 2 tarps down over the soil once it is leveled before I put the next protective layer. Should I go with sand, foam board, or something else? I have already blown my budget so far so I need the cheapest option to keep my wife happy lol. I attached a picture of the spot for the pool. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

lack2000

Jun 26, 2019
Oklahoma city
Foam board seems to be very popular. I've also heard of insualtion panels and Gorrilla Pads depending upon the nature of your soil, amount of rocks, and tendancy of weeds/grass to try and grow-up through the material. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! We decided to go with a gorilla pad. One other question. we have finished leveling, but there is one spot in one corner that was about an inch off from the rest. I dont have it in me to dig out the rest of the circle (I'm covered with blisters and bruises) just to line it up with that one low spot. I have added a little clay dirt to that one spot and tampered it down. Is there anything else I should do?