Best Liquid Chlorine to buy from Home Depot? How much needed to slam 19,800 gallon above ground vinyl pool?

Home Depot sells a 10% sodium hypochlorate solution which is the highest concentration they sell (and typically the best price per available chlorine). Not every HD sells them, so you'll have to see if the one near you does.

It's hard to say how much will be needed with a SLAM as it depends on how long it goes, how much the pool needs to use to defeat organics, what the CYA level is, how much is used up to sun, etc.

This is what my local Home Depot carries for 10% bleach (aka Chlorinating Liquid):

If your HD has it, it is most likely in the gardening section, possibly outside. Look for the latest date code on the box to get the freshest ones. While I was SLAMing recently I bought 6 or 8 boxes at a time, for a total of about 32 gallons over a 5 day SLAM on my 26k gallon pool. The amount you will use depends on the volume of your pool and the condition of the water.

And TFP recommends against using any algaecides or clarifiers under normal circumstances. Just stick with straight bleach.

Do you suggest any brand algicide and or clarifier from home depot?
We do not recommend the use of algaecides (except for very specific ones in very specific circumstances) or clarifiers.
Why do you think you need them?

The tenet of TFP is to only add what your pool needs based on accurate test results.

I have green water but don't see algae growing and when I backwash it is clear and also clear when rinsing. However, My gauge ends at 36 and when the pump is turned on it is at 33 (used to be down by the 20's). This year I changed out the sand to this new sand with the pool store telling me I didn't need as much with the new sand (it was pricey) but they said it would filter better with less sand. I did have a couple of inlets breaks when cleaning and I replaced them. During backwash the gauge turns down to 25. I then rinse and when I turn back on pump to filter gauge goes back to 33 even though I backwashed and rinsed. I also get a little bit of sand back in the pool. Help! Thank you!

This year I changed out the sand to this new sand with the pool store telling me I didn't need as much with the new sand (it was pricey) but they said it would filter better with less sand.
If the increased pressure coincided with the act of changing to (what is it?), then that is your cause.

The best filter media for a sand filter, is, sand. Plain, #20 silica sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the store swindled you. Sand always works and we often see reports that alternative media has problems.
Hopefully they did not sell it to you under the guise that it would clear up your green pool. It won't. You need chlorine to kill it first by following the SLAM Process

I have the Leslie test kit.
FC 0 (although I put in a gallon 10% bleach last night)
PH 7.5
CYA 65
TA 110
Can you slam starting in the day? How much chlorine 10% do I need to reach 28 FC since my CYA is 65?

As Jason said, you need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running.

I have the Leslie test kit.
FC 0 (although I put in a gallon 10% bleach last night)
PH 7.5
CYA 65
TA 110
Can you slam starting in the day? How much chlorine 10% do I need to reach 28 FC since my CYA is 65?
Which Leslie's test kit?
Does it include the FAS-DPD chlorine test?
You may have the equivalent of the K-2005 and just need to add the FAS-DPD chlorine test to have the equivalent of the K-2006.
You can use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach is required to reach your desired target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.