Sunny, Southern Utah
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
My Pool is fairly new, was completed in August of 2020. Started to get a "yellowish" ring on the tiles at the water line. Pretty sure it is from my wife's suntan lotions.

I'm read about a bunch of cleaners (GLB TLC, SeaKlear, BioGuard, Natural Chemistry, BioDex, Wipe Out) and they all seem to have good and bad reviews. Any real life suggestions ? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP :)

The best cleaner is the S200, costs 20 cents to run for 2 hours, cleans and scrubs the whole pool and tile line.. (y)

How are you testing the water and what are you using for chlorine?

A pumice stone works great for us. We have 4 kids who use the pool daily. I make them load up on sunscreen. I clean the tiles everyday with a green sponge scrubby from the grocery store and then anything that won’t come off I use pumice stone.

I was just reading last night that Dawn dish soap is a better bathroom cleaner than any product designed for it. It makes sense with how well it works on grease/oils/stained pots pans.

Obviously you’ll want to minimize what falls into the pool, but above the waterline that should be fairly easy to do and you can wipe clean with paper towels. If some does get into the pool, it won’t be the end of the world, a few drops is actually recommended at times to kill surface bugs, and the FC ultimately eats it.

try some Dawn on a scotch-brite like sponge and see if it helps on a test area. Good luck and keep up posted.

I was just reading last night that Dawn dish soap is a better bathroom cleaner than any product designed for it
We have a vinyl liner. So no tile. But we still get the "bathtub ring". I gave my 12 year-old daughter a bottle of dish soap, a magic eraser, and $9. It is not 100% gone, but looks a lot better.

Reactions: Newdude
We have a vinyl liner. So no tile
Same here and I didn’t even need the dish soap, the scrub sponge did the trick by itself. But for OP and others with tile they can really put some scrubbing pressure on it if need be and it’s that stubborn.

A cup of dawn dish soap will work wonders, I clean mine this way with just a sponge.. If you use a robot you can dump 1 or 2 cups of dawn in the skimmer and let the robot loose 20 minutes later doing just the waterline and it will do the dirty work :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just had our first big pool party with family (all vaccinated) and there was a film all around the tile from all the oils and lotions. I was thinking about a magic eraser or a sponge with the scrubbing side, but I don't want to dull the glass tile or make it look hazy. Should I just use a car wash mitt?

I just had our first big pool party with family (all vaccinated) and there was a film all around the tile from all the oils and lotions. I was thinking about a magic eraser or a sponge with the scrubbing side, but I don't want to dull the glass tile or make it look hazy. Should I just use a car wash mitt?
Microfiber rags can work wonders 😊

Reactions: ChristopherDB
just had our first big pool party with family (all vaccinated) and there was a film all around the tile from all the oils and lotions
Next time throw 2 tennis balls in each skimmer. They work wonders soaking up the oils before they stain/attach to stuff. And it will be a fun find for any exploring kids, Who will quickly tire of the tennis balls, Which will float right back into the skimmers. :)

We have a vinyl liner. So no tile. But we still get the "bathtub ring". I gave my 12 year-old daughter a bottle of dish soap, a magic eraser, and $9. It is not 100% gone, but looks a lot better.
I would be careful with the magic erasers, they may scratch the heck out of your vinyl. They'r really like little sanding blocks more than anything else.

Reactions: Shirker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.