Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
The Taylor 1000 kit that that came with my TF test kit is pretty basic( yes I know I can do the powder test in the TF kit) but that is time consuming and I figure I will only use that to check for CC. The 1000 kit only goes to 5, is there another kit that goes to 10?

Nope, that is why you have the FAS/DPD test. Use it. It takes less then 5 minuted to do a FAS/DPD chlorine test. Fill the vial with 10ml of water, dump some power in to get it red, count the drops tile clear, and you are done.

Reactions: MA5177
Nope, that is why you have the FAS/DPD test. Use it. It takes less then 5 minuted to do a FAS/DPD chlorine test. Fill the vial with 10ml of water, dump some power in to get it red, count the drops tile clear, and you are done.
I guess since my FC needs to be between 4-6 I can just eyeball it, I will do the full test once a week

Most of us only use that basic comparitor block tester to tell us if our hot tubs have *any* chlorine in them (the value isn't important) versus *no* chlorine. But with a pool you want to know if your FC is high enough based on your CYA, and if you have CC (cooties) in the water. That comparitor block can't tell you that.

Most of us only use that basic comparitor block tester to tell us if our hot tubs have *any* chlorine in them (the value isn't important) versus *no* chlorine. But with a pool you want to know if your FC is high enough based on your CYA, and if you have CC (cooties) in the water. That comparitor block can't tell you that.
But it reads up to 5, 5 is where my chlorine should be at. So if it’s darker than 5 not to worry correct? I mean chlorine and PH fluctuates so fast

I hope your eyeballs are well calibrated.

Good luck.
I tested both ways today... on the OTO test showed 4. I tested the hard way and came out the same 4. The OTO doesn’t have a 4 but was darker than 3 and lighter than 5.

Close enough for me I’m going to try to keep at 5 plus until I go salt.

I tested both ways today... on the OTO test showed 4. I tested the hard way and came out the same 4. The OTO doesn’t have a 4 but was darker than 3 and lighter than 5.

Close enough for me I’m going to try to keep at 5 plus until I go salt.
Yes! This is the wonder of knowing your pool, knowing how to test the water, understanding the water chemistry and knowing the effects of pool chemical additions. You become free to make your own educated decisions for your pool system. Power to the pool owner. :rockon:
I've always wanted to use that smilie.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use the Lamotte colour q pro for my daily chlorine and pH tests because it is much quicker and the results are exactly the same as my Taylor fas-dpd but with a quick digital reading and no pH colour matching for my bad eyes.
I have the Taylor for the other tests that I do less frequently (cya, TA and CH) as the Colour q is not great for those.
Some people say there is high error with the Lamotte. This is likely user error as the test tubes are tiny so if you don't fill them precisely and hold your dropper vertically you are can really throw off your results. With careful use it's great and does read to 10 ppm chlorine.

Reactions: MA5177
yes I know I can do the powder test in the TF kit) but that is time consuming and I figure I will only use that to check for CC.
Do you have the SpeedStir? I can do the full FC/CC test in under a minute for typical FC ranges. If you don’t need CC skip the last part and it’s even faster.

Fun fact the pink portion of the test can actually be a color comparison test, and the DPD comparator block goes to 10, but on quick look it appears those kits come with liquid DPD, unsure if the powder works the same. In any case you could get it if you’re good at differentiating shades of pink.

Reactions: markayash
Do you have the SpeedStir? I can do the full FC/CC test in under a minute for typical FC ranges. If you don’t need CC skip the last part and it’s even faster.

Fun fact the pink portion of the test can actually be a color comparison test, and the DPD comparator block goes to 10, but on quick look it appears those kits come with liquid DPD, unsure if the powder works the same. In any case you could get it if you’re good at differentiating shades of pink.
I didn't know that about the pink but have got pretty good at guessing the FC by how dark pink it gets :)

The OTO test is not an FC test, but a TC test. As Maddie said, it's great as a quick yes/no test, or a sanity check when you think that your FAS/DPD might be expired.

Looks like you have some CC

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.