Best AGP for freezing Michigan Steel vs. Resin

jentiffr24

Dec 12, 2020
lansing, mi
Does resin or steel hold up best for freezing climates like Michigan? I would prefer to use a saltwater system but would go chlorine if steel would give me a longer life. Planning on 27 ft round AGP. Thanks

Casey

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2007
SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I think your question should be which pool will stand up to the SWG more so than freezing weather. Salt will rust a steel component pool faster than a resin but you've also got to understand that you wont get a wall made of resin because they are usually steel and bolt together. The post and ledges can be resin.

geko29

Gold Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Schaumburg, IL
There are fully-resin pools available. Here is one of the pools I've been considering, in a similar climate as OP so I'm quite interested in this discussion:

There are no steel parts other than the stainless skimmer/return panel, and the trim on the caps.

@jentiffr24 the pool factory also makes three steel (60-year warranty) and one extruded aluminum (lifetime warranty) pool models that are fully warranted for the use of a salt system.

a4xcrypto

Jan 26, 2021
PA
Also looking for more info on this.. I was looking at the Saltwater 8000 on the pool factory but after seeing alot of the failures of salt panels I am wondering how long they actually hold up and how long the coatings last.. The Saltwater 8000 apparently has an interior and exterior coating but I am also looking at the Aurora with the Resin walls, I am just wondering how durable the resin is to cold climates and freezing temps.

geko29

Gold Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Schaumburg, IL
I did wind up buying the Saltwater 8000, it's currently sitting on a pallet in my garage. Decided on it over the Aurora because of Chicago winters. Might be a complete overreaction on my part.

I'm not at all concerned about my 3500 ppm salt destroying the walls of the Saltwater 8000.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
all resin has no way of ever dying a horrible death from rust.. The extruded aluminum would work also...

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.