Benifits of a side vs top piped Sand Filter

Oct 28, 2014
Berwick/Maine
I'm replacing my worn out Hayward 3/4 HP pump and Side piped DE filter with a Hayward 1 HP pump and Pro Series sand filter. Are there any filtering advantages to a side piped sand filter (a little more expensive) over a top piped sand filter?
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProSeries-S210S-S244S.pdf

Advantages I acknowledge for the side piped Hayward S244S Pro Series Side-Mount 24-Inch Sand Filter is less external pipe, external pipe bends and presumably lower pump back pressure. Disadvantage is the Side-Mount cylinder has two holes (side and top) where the Hayward S244T Pro Series Top-Mount 24-Inch Sand Filter only has one at the top - more to go wrong or possibly leak if top or side seal goes bad. Does it make a difference in filtering, back-washing or something I did not consider?

18x36 In-ground vinyl pool

It is mostly a size/cost/convenience issue. Side pipes are a bit more expensive, but noticeably more convenient. It is fairly common to see top pipes on smaller less expensive filters, fairly unusual to see top piping on larger filters. I don't like top pipes because it makes it much more difficult to open up the filter and clean it out or service it.

I don't like top pipes because it makes it much more difficult to open up the filter and clean it out or service it.

This is the major difference. Cleaning the sand in a top valve filter is more difficult. If you do get a top mount, make sure you have unions installed fairly close to the valve on both the inlet and outlet lines. Then when you do need to service the filter, you can easily disconnect the valve from the filter body. Without unions, you'll have to cut lines in order to remove the multi-port valve. Might as well install unions right away.

Some brands of top mount filters are prone to developing very slow leaks around the rubber o-ring that seals the top valve to the filter body. O-rings are cheap, but this is another reason to be prepared with union installation on the valve lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.