Beginners build

edexam22

Mar 23, 2019
Jakarta
Hi guys!
I've got a pool on the upper storey of a house build. Standard tiled, with runoff of the pool water dropping via waterfall into the pond down on the ground level.
Size is 9m X 3m X 1.2m depth.
Its my first pool build and I'm hoping to get some advice on equipment I will need.
Happy with either Hayward or Starite (Pentarite) builds.
Thanks!

This really isn’t something that you can DIY. Water is extremely heavy... even a reasonably small 5000 gallon pool weighs over 20 tons. It can definitely be done, but you’ll need an engineer to design the supports for it so your house doesn’t collapse. You’ll also need a pretty hefty pump to be able to handle the head pressure needed to pump water back up from the bottom of the waterfall.

You’ll need to work with professionals to build this and they will likely be in a better position to recommend specific equipment to support this build.

Yeah, ED if you can give us some more information on the specs (do you have drawings yet?) and details of the scope of the project, we’ll be able to better advise you on the things you’ll need.
If you’re looking for “which brand is better” type answers, you’ll find plenty of people that are in the corners of each brand here on the forum. :cheers:

H
You are doing WHAT???? :shock: This I have to see!!! Please!!! How are you going to support the weight?
Hi Kimkats!

I'm building it on the second storey as the lack of land space dictates thus.

I am happy to send photos once the construction is complete - we're midway currently and all I have to show are the metal supporting rods sticking up from the ground. =)

Its a concrete build poured on site with additional supporting beams underneath it. Given its only a small pool the engineers are confident the extra weight of water won't impact too much on additional structural requirements.

This really isn’t something that you can DIY. Water is extremely heavy... even a reasonably small 5000 gallon pool weighs over 20 tons. It can definitely be done, but you’ll need an engineer to design the supports for it so your house doesn’t collapse. You’ll also need a pretty hefty pump to be able to handle the head pressure needed to pump water back up from the bottom of the waterfall.

You’ll need to work with professionals to build this and they will likely be in a better position to recommend specific equipment to support this build.
Dear Brett,

Apologies. The pool water upstairs will be recirculated and only some overflow will drop via the waterfall into the pond below.

The plan is just to have a normal pool upstairs and a separate pond below, so I was just after some advice re: pumps/equipment/consumables required for a pool given the dimensions above (Size is 9m X 3m X 1.2m depth. )

Yeah, ED if you can give us some more information on the specs (do you have drawings yet?) and details of the scope of the project, we’ll be able to better advise you on the things you’ll need.
If you’re looking for “which brand is better” type answers, you’ll find plenty of people that are in the corners of each brand here on the forum. :cheers:
Hi Arizonarob,

Yes I do have preliminary drawings, but all they show are a pool with a size of 9m X 3m X 1.2m depth sitting on the second storey of the house. =)

The plan is to recirculate the water there with cleaning equipment of course, which is why I came to the forum for some help regarding what equipment I need given I'll be doing this from scratch and have no experience with pools. =)

Building the pool isn't the issue, running it with pumps/chlorine will be.

Regards

Ed, could you snap some pictures of the drawings that you have, and post them here. Without knowing where the equipment will be in relationship to the pool, it will be difficult to advise.
I’m going to ping a couple of our pump experts to ask more precise questions so you get the answers you’ll need. @mas985 @JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the elevation rise from the lower water level to the upper water level? I am assuming the water that continuously drops into the pond below needs to be returned to the pool above. This will likely require a high head pump that uses quite a bit of energy.

Hi KimKats, and hi guys!

I have the photos of the pool.

While I was away the builder has obviously built the pool and left it to sit and collect rainwater...hasn't collapsed yet, so I assume it'll be fine for now.

My issue is that if you look to the left of the photos - that's where the overflow will drop one storey down and will need to be pumped back up to recirculate.

Just wondering if I could get some help with how much pump power will be required to raise the water the 3 metres it will need to come back up.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    466.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0496.JPG
    IMG_0496.JPG
    535.2 KB · Views: 44
Just wondering if I could get some help with how much pump power will be required to raise the water the 3 metres it will need to come back up.
Most any residential IG pool pump will be able to do that. The extra lift will just reduce the flow rate of the pump.

Stronger than what? What pump were you planning to use?

If you go with a VS pump, it might give you more flexibility in setting flow rates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.