been slamming for two weeks

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
How would I check if I need a new pump / filter? How an I tell if the one I have is adequate? We swapped out for a StayRite PLM100 last summer and the pool has just never been good since then. It's so green.... I know with slamming you're supposed to run 24/7, but this filter I get very little flow after 4 hours so there's no point in running overnight. I end up cleaning the filter several times a day.

With a small cartridge filter cleaning up a pool from an algae outbreak can be challenging.

Have you considered draining the pool leaving 18" water or so in it and refilling? Then remove the filter and follow the SLAM Process until the pool is blue and cloudy and then put the filter back in and baby sit it to clean the water.

Reactions: DThompson55
With a small cartridge filter cleaning up a pool from an algae outbreak can be challenging.

Have you considered draining the pool leaving 18" water or so in it and refilling? Then remove the filter and follow the SLAM Process until the pool is blue and cloudy and then put the filter back in and baby sit it to clean the water.

So, do you think maybe this filter is too small for the pool? I'd hate to go through the trouble of draining and refilling only to have this come back a week later. or... AH... run the pump without the filter in just to circulate the chlorine? That might be the most brilliant bit of advice I've been given so far!

That filter is way too small. At least a 200+ SF filter would be better. Bigger the better. Mine is 240SF for my 6K pool.

Reactions: DThompson55
Thank you as always. I'll write to StayRite and find out what I should actually have for this size pool. I clearly made a mistake in sizing this filter. If only I'd asked for advice on TFP last year. Sigh... Also, happier news, my wife and I have been double teaming the filter cleaning duties. And this morning the pool is actually fairly blue. So now, if we just don't let up, and if we get the right sized filter, we should be in pretty good shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.