Been battling a greenish dust all season... growing tired

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
in a nutshell I have been fighting a very very fine particulate material most of the season. I've slammed the pool twice even though the overnight test really never indicated a problem. I am 99.9 % positive that there is no living organic material in the water. Vacuuming is almost a pointless task. Back up a couple days. took the solar cover off of the pool to find the same greenish dust settled on the bottom of the pool. It is actually in a hurricane pattern because of how the water flows around the pool. Aside from the dust on only the horizontal surfaces the water was clear. Start vacuuming and after a few minutes you can see the particles flowing out of the return nozzle and back into the pool. Stop... clean the filter and vac again... repeat. I get some of the material out but in the end it just gets suspended in the water column.wait days and repeat. I tested my water for chlorine and it is a little high at 10.5. I had been keeping it at 7ppm. About a week ago the chlorine cartridge ran out and it dropped to 2.5 so I added a gallon of 8.25% bleach to bring it back up and then some.

I still use trichlor tabs for the most part due to my short season and the fact that I am pumping out more water over the season then adding. CYA is at 50 BTW. At any rate I took a sample to the pool store yesterday to verify my results. He also concurred that the water was fine and it is not a chemical issue. As much as I hated to do it I purchased a clarifier / flock in hopes to bind up this fine particulate. I also bought a robotic cleaner for the pool because I loath running the pump to vac and the creepy crawly cleaner never worked very well. The vac has been running for the past couple of hours and I cleaned the filter and skimmer sock. The water is an emerald green shade at the moment but at least I can see the bottom again. I will clean all three filters this afternoon again and repeat the process hoping for the best.

Almost sounds like pollen. But that shouldn't get through a cartridge filter. Have you checked that your filter doesn't have a tear in it? When I was first battling the green meany, I found that one of mine did.

There's something wrong with the filter, period. If it's big enough to see with the naked eye, the filter should remove it. It doesn't take much - a chunk of gasket is torn, a small rip in a pleat, an O-ring is missing somewhere, anything will do it. Remember the water flowing through is under a lot of pressure.

Thanks guys... As far as I can tell I can't see any visible defect in the filter. This morning the pool is looking better but still a ways to go. I think in this case the flock has helped. I am just leary of adding that kind of stuff.

Not sure why I didn't buy a pool robot earlier that thing is great! I might replace the filter to be safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.