Bearing parts for QC Tiger Shark?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Opened up the shark and it was full of about 12 small ball-bearings. This has happened before but it was under warranty so I did not need to fix it myself.

Does anyone know the specific part number(s) for this part and a set of instructions or a link/video for replacing them? Also, I assume there is at least 2-4 sets, yes? If so, is it advisable to replace all while apart or as needed?

Thank you very much,
tstex

Tx,

I just threw a truck load of them away... ? Well, mine were for old Dolphin Diagnostics, but they look the same to me..

I think you need 2 each #6 and 4 each #22 (# 23 is basically a # 6 plus a metal piece that does not go bad that connects to the motor.)

I bought mine in a kit... I think it was Marina pool and spa but it was so long ago I really don't remember.. The kit had all 6 parts.

I would never go to all the work to tear it apart and not replace them all.. If your drive belts are not newish.. I would replace them too..

Thanks,

Jim R.

tx,

The first thing you need is a box knife so that you can cut your hands up in about a dozen places... This will just save you time... :mrgreen:

Basically the sides are held on with screws (into plastic) from the inside of the unit. I use a 90 degree drive on the end of an electronic drill/driver.. They have done a pretty good job of putting some of the screws in "almost" impossible to get to places. Disassembly is pretty obvious, but a pain. Most, but not all the screws are the same length, so note which screws go where..

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

I viewed a video on how to replace a drive belt which showed how to take out the screws, then the side off that enables you to access the bearing casings. There is also the chance that it is part #6 too, so there are three possible parts on each side, so six total possible parts. Here are a few questions if you or someone would be so kind:

1. Is there a way to determine which bearing casing lost the bearings w out having to take off the side first? essentially, would like to take off the correct side/
2. as noted, saw a video on how to remove the side and seven screws, but it did not state anything about how to remove any of the 3 bearing casings. Can you pls provide an explanation on how you remove [and reinstall if diff or tricky] parts 22, 23 or 6 all which are bearing casings.

I sure would appreciate some guidance. We have some big rains coming and it always includes lots of junk the pool that the shark removes.

Thanks you much, tstex

tx,

To me, it make no sense to go to all the trouble to open it, if you don't replace all 6 bearings.. The inner and our race are all preassembled and all you do is slide the old ones out and slide the new ones on.. Nothing is press fit and it is very easy to do... four of the bearings are smooth on the outside and the track just rides on them.. Two of them have ridges that drive the belt. Only one of the two bearing that have ridges actually drives the belt.. It is the one that has a metal drive shaft that connects to the drive motor. For my Dolphin cleaners, the two bearing were the same.. the metal drive shaft could be installed in either one, but of course the only one that made sense was the one on the side of the machine that was close to the motor's shaft.

I don't see how you could tell which roller lost its bearings without opening it.. In theory several rollers could have lost a just a couple of the balls each.

Test for you.. @tstex

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I'm going to order all 6 bearing sets - pulled it apart and found the side w the missing bearings. But like you said, could be more.

First pic is the 6 part and then closeup. Next is the rollers

Thanks for your suggestions
Tstex

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 6
Jim,

After researching this more and taking things apart, which I have taken each side apart, I have found the specific locations of where each bearing part has failed. However, I am not sure of how the dolphin parts worked w yours, but you cannot just replace the bearings and casings. You have to replace the whole plastic assembly which also includes the bearing sets. Therefore, right now I am up to about 6 x $21.00 for $126, as well as one track I need to replace and some idler bearings [2 to a set] so, that puts me at $160. Is this what you were thinking on the bearing side for $126 for all six? The whole shark cost $850. Not too cheap in my opinion.

If I had to replace what was only broken, it would be $40-50 bucks, then the track. I guess the labor is kind of free :shock:

thanks tstex

Tx,

I find that pretty hard to believe as it appears to be a Dolphin in disguise... :mrgreen:

What makes you think you cannot just remove the bearings and replace them individually?

It sure appears like you can by looking at the parts break down..

Maybe some idiot glued them on?? I do remember a few cases where I had to use a couple of screwdrivers to wedge the bearings off their hubs..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spoke w an independent tech and he said w these you cannot replace the bearings alone; had to be the whole assembly which includes the bearing set too. :-(

It's pretty crazy how they stick it to you w these things...I won't be going w the Hayward shark again, that's for sure.

Thanks
tstex

Thanks Jim

The bearing part above is actually a different part than the four wheel roller bearing assemblies and the 2 pulley drive/guide assemblies

There's 4 of the part listed above in addition to orig 6 listed and there are simple rollers that help to keep the track from hitting the guide/drive assemblies. These cannot go into the other bearing casing areas, so if you added these 4 too in the formula, I'd be upto almost $200 to replace anything w bearings.

I'll take a pic of this part for you when I'm back hm snd show you where they are located. These too cks only be sourced from Hayward - kind of racket yes?

Thanks again,
tstex

Tx,

Then I suggest that you buy a Dolphin S200 from Marina Pool and Spa for $700 bucks, including tax and shipping.

I just replaced two Dolphin diagnostics (looks identical to your Tiger Shark) with S200's and I could not be happier... They clean about the same, but the S200 has no handle and does a much better job on the water line tile.. It also does not dump everything back into the pool when you take it out of the water.

I still do not understand the issue, but since you are there, I'm sure you are correct.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim

I think that is s very good suggestion on buying s dolphin. We live in Houston now and moving to Franklin Tn in the spring, so I'm inclined to keep this robot for the next 8-9 mo's and be done w it.

But, to help clarify my last post, the part you posted is where my finger is pointing; there are 4 of them. The next pic is one of the roller bearing assemblies that lost all its bearings. The last pic is guide bearing assembly that still has its bearings and it's the one on the other side that attaches to the motor drive shaft that lost its bearings.

Hope this helps, but the next person that has s tiger shark and lost their bearings, I'll certainly be able to help them navigate through fixing it (or trashing & buying a dolphin) bc of your help in this thread. It all kind of cones together when you start pulling these things apart.

Thanks again Jim
tstex

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 3
Hey Jim

Placed an order for $85 in bearing related parts (all the rollers, drive bearing assembly and 2 track idler bearings and then 2 new tracks as well..total together about $130..if the motor or anything else strategic fails, I'm taking it to the ranch and finishing it off w the ??.

Thanks for all, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.