BBB Method + 3" Tablets?

No, you don't have to. We don't generally recommend using chlorine tablets, though there are occasional uses for them.

There are no dumb questions. We all started out not knowing the answers. The way to learn is to ask :)

brg88tx said:
i'm trying a hybrid approach where i use my 3" tablets only from may-september (5 months) and bleach the remaining 7 months in hopes of controlling the rise in cya.

That could work if you have a DE/sand filter and backwash a lot and/or we get good rainfall here in SE Texas.

I have a cartridge filter and with last year's drought I hit a high CYA number pretty fast using 3" tabs. I switched to a SWG within a few months after start up. So far, I've had a very good experience with my SWG.

As another data point, I regularly keep 3" tabs in my floater in the pool. Helps maintain chlorine levels as I don't test all that regularly and don't swim all that often either unfortunately. We have lots of rain here in South Florida so I am usually draining a full pool and that helps keep the CYA in check. I also have a rising pH issue due to my spa spillover and the acidic tabs help control that issue as well. So, as mentioned above, BBB is about understanding what you are putting in your pool and why. For me, the tabs are a great solution and solve several issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.