Battling algae, cya and trying to close the pool

Hi there,

I've been going through the SLAM procedure for the last few days - things are starting to come my way (ty TFP). Liquid chlorine is challenging to get in this town, so I've been using concentrated bleach (8.25%). I have also been buying out all the stores for the last 5 days. I was desperate to keep the slam going and I was out of concentrated bleach, and the only option was the stuff w/ scents (i'm not sure if that is ok to use or not). I purchased a 35 lb bucket of powder from a local supply store - with stabilizer. After burning through the entire bucket in a day and a half I started questing my test kit. Based on what I found on TFP, I purchased K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD. That confirmed that not only was my current test kit giving me bad chlorine readings, but my CYA had risen to 100.

Results from my most recent test (taken at 12:30 pm central) using the new test kit K-2006.

PH 7.2
FC 10
CC 1
TA 100
Cal Hard 300
CYA 100

Question
Do I continue the SLAM until my water clears or should I dilute my water and restart the slam? I'm trying to get this pool closed down prior to leaving for vacation October 3.

Not sure if my signature is filled in.
~40,000 gallon L shaped pool
Triton II sand filter
Pentair pump

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

To complete the SLAM Process you will most likely need to drain and refill part of the pool volume. Or close it with algae and be prepared for a mess in the spring.

Close your pool with chlorine and Polyquat 60 and see in the Spring what level your CYA degraded to. Plan on some draining and the SLAM Process then. Liquid chlorine should be available then.

Read...

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

To complete the SLAM Process you will most likely need to drain and refill part of the pool volume. Or close it with algae and be prepared for a mess in the spring.
Thanks, I'll retest when I get home.

Close your pool with chlorine and Polyquat 60 and see in the Spring what level your CYA degraded to. Plan in some draining and the SLAM Process then. Liquid chlorine should be available then.

Read...

Due to the freeze level, I have to drain my pool nearly 50% total volume anyways. With winter snow and early spring rain it usually fills back up with enough water to vacuum to waste. I'm trying to avoid a mess in the spring though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.