Battery/Rust Stain - now low TA/PH

Jun 10, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
Hello!

About a week ago, my toddler tossed a battery powered toy gun into the pool, and the batteries ended up exploding overnight. It left our new pebble surface with a nice 12 inch rust stain.

I called up the guy who resurfaced the pool, and he came by and somehow completely removed the stain with some chemical (dry acid maybe?) and a wire brush. It's been several days and i just tested the water, which came up with TA of 50, and the PH at 6.8.

The water chemistry was spot on before this happened, so i'm wondering if i should give the water a few more days to stabilize, or, should i start taking action to raise the PH?

Thanks!

I would raise the TA about 10 to 20 ppm then brush well and recheck everything tomorrow.

What are all of your current numbers?

What were they before the treatment?

When was the plaster completed?

I would raise the TA about 10 to 20 ppm then brush well and recheck everything tomorrow.

What are all of your current numbers?

What were they before the treatment?

When was the plaster completed?

I only checked FC, TA, and PH.

Current Reading
FC = 7
TA = 50
PH = 6.8

Previously
FC = 7
TA = 110
PH = 7.6
CYA = 80

The plaster was chipped out and replaced with pebble back in May of this year.

Any guidance to slowly raise the TA? I haven't had to do that before

The service person must have added about 1.5 gallons of acid.

I would suggest that you add about 5 lbs baking soda and brush the pool well.

Follow up tomorrow by brushing again and checking all chemistry including calcium hardness.

What is the calcium hardness of the pool and fill water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.