Basket holder lip snapped - replace whole skimmer? *SOLVED*

GenericHbomb

Oct 3, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hey guys,

New year, new adventures.

This happened late last year after my helper did not regularly empty basket while I was away.
It appeared the basket became overloaded and the suction actually broke the lip of the skimmer that holds the basket.

I have attached a few pictures. Don't mind all the dirt from the winter.

I tested my pump and everything else is ok!

However, I am wondering what the best course of action is here?

My pool surround is wood plank with sand underlay I believe so if needed, taking the planks and digging out should not require anything but a shovel and some time.

If that is the general recommendation, does anyone have a link to a good guide on replacement? (vinyl pool)
I am not yet sure on the model of the skimmer itself at this point in time.

Excited to hear your thoughts so I can have a successful open in May! (Upstate NY)

Attachments

• 20190407_123852.jpg
    20190407_123852.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190407_123905.jpg
    20190407_123905.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 43
Sorry, I could see how my post would be not clear. I grabbed my basket and took another picture to show the problem.

Without the lip there the basket sits directly on top of the intake at the bottom of the skimmer.
As the basket is making contact with the intake all it would take is one or two leaves to block flow to the intake instead of having the whole area of the basket to pull from when the basket is normally elevated.

I taped together the broken plastic with electrical tape to show it sitting in its correct position.

Let me know if that makes more sense.

Attachments

• 20190407_192101.jpg
    20190407_192101.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190407_192121.jpg
    20190407_192121.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 42
I wonder if for now, you could place some sort of spacer under the basket to help hold it up off the intake? Unfortunately, I suppose it doesn't solve the original problem of no lip which seems to allow debris to flow down the external side of the basket (between the basket and skimmer wall) defeating its purpose.

I think that that is the part you need.

It's a common problem. That's why they sell the ring.

The ring just sits there and the basket fits in the ring.

You can glue the ring in place, but it's not necessary.

You have to insert the ring from the front because it won't fit from the top.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting. Now that I know there is a name for it I was able to find a similar thread on TFP:
Broken skimmer basket rim

When it broke, I was under the impression it was a part of the assembly instead of a separate piece.

I went back out and looked at it again and I can see the line indicating it is it's own piece on the bit that still remains in the skimmer.
I may try to remove the bit of the lip from the original support ring that still remains in there (gently, of course)
I wonder if the prior owners glued it down or otherwise.

I will buy one of those and give it a go.
You guys saved me from pulling the skimmer..

Added a *solved* note to the end of the thread title

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.