Baquacil Question-New to TFp

LoganMclovin

Sep 14, 2021
ATX
I tried looking through past discussions before asking this, forgive me if its an old topic. Short back story, took over a house with small 4500 above ground pool useing bacquil. The sand filter had basically turned to cement when i arrived. Traded that out with some upgraded filter material, which works great. Question is I am having a really tough time finding any of the oxidizer (2) all of a sudden. My store is out and seems everywhere online is too. Does anyone know if this is just straight hydrogen peroxide or are there other chemicals in it as well?
I found a place I could order 1-55 gallons of medical grade 30% hydrogen peroxide. I think i saw the baqu product was 27% and quite a bit more expensive than just ordering myself a big ole drum of H ₂O ₂ . I found a store up north that had a few gallons left i had set aside for me. I plan to pick up tomorrow to care for immediate needs then decided weather or not to stick with this expensive baq or convert the pool to chlorine.

Welcome to TFP!

To answer the question at hand: yes it is straight hydrogen peroxide.

Now of course I'd be remiss if I didn't highly recommend converting ASAP. Sand filters don't just turn to cement on their own. That's a sign that there were problems with algae and/or mold and the previous owners took some drastic measures to correct it. Very common with baqua pools, and not all that uncommon by mismanaged chlorine pools. We don't recommend the products that cause that type of thing, TFPC is a program that effectively keeps algae at bay without the use of them.

With such a small pool a quick drain and refill would probably be cheaper than a drum of hydrogen peroxide...

I agree with JD. ^^ Just seems more efficient to dump and refill. You might still need to run a SLAM Process to purge any residual product from lines that you can't physically get to, but it would really speed up recovery time.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome to TFP!

To answer the question at hand: yes it is straight hydrogen peroxide.

Now of course I'd be remiss if I didn't highly recommend converting ASAP. Sand filters don't just turn to cement on their own. That's a sign that there were problems with algae and/or mold and the previous owners took some drastic measures to correct it. Very common with baqua pools, and not all that uncommon by mismanaged chlorine pools. We don't recommend the products that cause that type of thing, TFPC is a program that effectively keeps algae at bay without the use of them.

With such a small pool a quick drain and refill would probably be cheaper than a drum of hydrogen peroxide...
Thank you both for the reply and tips there. That is all good to know. That sand was such a b&(*ch to dig out of the filter i would rather not repeat that again. I think it's clear the previous person let it fall under disrepair. Sounds exactly like what i did to my truck trying to fix a coolant leak with this oakmeal looking substance from autozone. What a mistake that was. . This is the first pool ive been solely responsible for and ive learned so much already and just scratching the surface. Its good to know Forums like this exist glad to be here. cheers-

NewDude says, "You gotta diversify your Bacqua..."

Wu Tang Dap GIF

Me, when somebody has a non-TFP pool:

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

4500 gallons? Lemme save you a few bucks. Drain, refill, T-100 kit, liquid chlorine, have a great pool life forever.

parks and recreation treat yo self GIF

Welcome!

I second all the advice above. 4500 gallons isn't a lot. Get a test kit with the FAS-DPD test (Taylor K-2006C or TF-100, also highly recommend the speedstir), dump the water (on a calm day), refill, and enjoy the clear, cheap, and straightforward TFP approach to pool water care. I wouldn't bother with getting more hydrogen peroxide if you already would prefer to convert to chlorine.

Here's my rather somewhat larger above ground pool, ~15,000 gallons. The water is always nice and clear like that.
full

We've got a whole thread of pictures showing just how clear the pools are of everybody here actually: How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Please).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.