Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was planning to do the Baquacil to liquid chlorine conversion this spring. Now I'm concerned about hoarders grabbing all the chlorine, enough so that it will be impossible to find by mid-summer (or sooner.) I really don't want to put up with the Baq issues for another season. Make the leap or wait? Suggestions?

Also, my AGP is still wearing it's winter cover. But, last Sept. before covering, I drained it to 6" below the bottom of the skimmer. I have since replaced about 10" of water (no chemicals,) in an attempt to get the residual BaquaGoo as low as possible. Water temp is only about 45 degrees. Is it too soon to remove the cover and begin the process? Recommended a water temp, if so, please. I have a Taylor TF100 test kit on order.

What prevents you from doing a water exchange on your pool which would greatly reduce the chlorine needed?

Reactions: Shirker
Thanks for your reply Allen! We live in the country and have well water as our source. It is very high quality well water, though. Don't want to screw up our well, as we also have 7 horses and 3 grandkids living with us- let's just say the demand can get pretty high. When we filled the pool, water was trucked in at a cost of around $600. I am doing my refilling with rain water from on top of the cover; yup, it's clean. I am planning to replace our sand filter (and all it's backwashes) with a new cartridge system, at a cost of around $600-$700, which will eliminate the backwashing and refilling. I need the $600 for the new system. Don't relish spending it for water.
I will wait till after the conversion to replace the sand filter system. Make sense?

Have you read this?

You may be challanged to keep up with the Baqua-goo clogging your sand filter.

Thanks, Allen. I will be vacuuming to waste as much as possible to help. Think that will get much of the junk out? My Baq test strips show no residual goo left in the water, but they're about as accurate as …. -well, you get the picture. Been considering making the 50-mile run to the pool store (yeah, really!) and getting a computer analysis done before starting, although I have my doubts about the accuracy of that test as well. Maybe ok for a reference point? Also, does water temp make a difference when doing this conversion? 45 degrees today. Should I let it warm up a little or not? Appreciate your help!

Have you got a TF-100 test kit? You have a good stock of liquid chlorine?

@Leebo has helped folks through the conversion process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you’re in rural area is there a farm supply store around that can get you liquid chlorine? LC is often used on farms for disinfection and cleaning and the farm supply stores can usually get the potent stuff (12-15% sodium hypochlorite) in larger volumes (5-15 gallon carboys or bigger). You’re best option would be to locate a commercial supply source as the price/gallon will be cheaper.

Looking back at the original post it’s clear the answer to your question, convert now!

It’s very likely your Baquacil level is rather low from the Winter snow plus will be diluted even more by the spring rains. Order yourself a kit and let’s get this puppy open and converted. I totally suspect an early Summer anyways so the sooner we can get you switched, the better. We’ll be able to work with your current filter no problem. As one suggestion however, don’t switch to the cartridge until after the swap. Let’s get you converted then see if it’s needed. You may find with chlorine you’re not back washing nearly as often as you did with Baquacil, I know I’m not.

As Matt said you maybe able to find liquid in stores such as Rural King or Tractor Supply for a reasonable price. It also maybe just a few weeks early too.

Thanks to all! TF-100 should be here any day. I'll begin sourcing the liquid chlorine. Never gave it a thought to check the farm supply stores. In the meantime, I will also check to see what other chems I need to get this project underway. I had already been using 20 Mule Team Borax and A&H Washing Soda (thanks, TFP!) to adjust my PH, and Baking Soda to raise TA so I have those. Also have dry acid on hand to lower TA. Looks like I'll just need to make a trip to the pool store to get some CYA, and some Calcium Chloride to raise CH. My biggest expense will be the liquid chlorine. Compared to 1 gallon of Baq Oxidizer ($20.00,) and 1/2 gallon of Baq Sanitizer ($40.00,) the word "expensive" is truly relative!

No need to bother with the Calcium Chloride. You have a vinyl liner. Low CH is of no concern.

You should be using muriatic acid for pH control. Dry acid has sulfates that build up in the water and are very corrosive to metals.

Have fun!

Do NOT add any CYA to your water when doing the conversion. You want to only add chlorine until all the baquacil is destroyed. If you add CYA to early, it will hamper the chlorine oxidation of the Baquacil and the process will take a lot longer.

• Love
Reactions: Leebo
Do NOT add any CYA to your water when doing the conversion. You want to only add chlorine until all the baquacil is destroyed. If you add CYA to early, it will hamper the chlorine oxidation of the Baquacil and the process will take a lot longer.
Thanks for the reminder. I remember reading that, but once the "war" begins, things could be a little crazyo_O(y) for a few days. I have read and re-read the conversion process at least ten times, but that doesn't mean I won't make a misstep, LOL! Luckily, I am now retired, and can give this project my undivided attention. As of right now, I am planning to do the hourly readings and chlorine adjustments as indicated by the tests. I'm hoping it goes quickly and without problems, but I'm also realistic in my expectations. One way or another, it will get done, and done correctly. I can't wait to send the Baqucil out the backwash hose! I want to enjoy our pool, not be at war with it all summer...

Thanks again to all for your help!

Post back if you have any questions.

I haven’t read the thread in a while but if it’s not in there then be sure to run the pool on recirculate mode, not filter, when initially adding chlorine. You want the chlorine to mix and make as much baqua-goop as possible. Then physically skim any floating goop and vacuum to waste what settles. Try not to clog up the filter right away or else it will be a miserable time of constant loading up and backwashing.

Reactions: pookiesunshine
I've located my chlorine supply (12.5% 5-gallon containers.) Anyone have any idea of how many gallons to plan on? My pool holds 13,500 gallons of water, and my Baqua-Strips show a very low residual level of both oxidizer and sanitizer. I realize that any unused chlorine will be left over for the swim season, just don't want to w-a-a-a-y overshoot and have it lose it's potency in storage.

You could easily use 1-2 gallons per day in the beginning fir the first few days. And during the regular season, if the pool is kept clean, you’ll be using about 1 quart per day on average for your size pool.

Depending on cost and on how easy it is for you to get to the supplier (hauling and traveling), you might want to start off with 20 gallons and see how is goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.