Baquacil Change Over

Sorry for the delay. To my knowledge you do not want to add CYA until the changeover is complete. Pucks have CYA.

Is the ladder stained from metals, or organics, or just sun damage?

I will monitor your thread and make sure some better experts at Baq conversion chime in.

Take care.

No CYA while you are still converting or else you will stall the process and it really WILL take forever.

Just keep going. This is the Baquacil conversion process, its slow and painful. There's just no way around it.

Slow and painful is right. I'm over 250$ in on bleach, pool looks good, I'm vacuuming and brushing everyday even if i don't see anything and I still can't hold my level of 15 overnight. I'm always down between 7 and 10.
I even came up with a way to block off my skimmer so i could take it off and put it in bleach for a few hours and cleaned the snot out of it.

So testing the FC is a must, is there anything else i need to keep in check?
Also what about shocking doing the day to help keep chlorine in the pool. I don't trust my kids with bleach while I'm at work.

mknauss: The ladder is for the most part new and it's plastic, It's been out of the pool from the beginning of this process. I was just wondering a good way to get any Baqu off of it.

Thanks everyone for your replies,

You’re close!!!

Best way to clean the ladder is elbow grease. Get a bucket full of water and dump 1/2 a gallon of bleach into it. Take a rag or brush and start scrubbing. :)

For now also I’d suggest skipping adding chlorine during the day. Wait until sunset then increase up to 15ppm. Maybe add a “top off” dose before you go to work in the early hours. Additionally, make sure you’re brushing frequently. Pay special attention to the walls, skimmers, lights, anywhere that Baqua maybe hiding.

You’ll get there! Promise!!!

I agree with Lee, once the clearing phase is over and you're just dealing with clear water that is losing FC, it is best to do your chlorine additions overnight so that the chlorine is not fighting both UV loss and Baquacil loss. With no stabilizer in the pool, the FC will have a half life of about 30mins. You can certainly top it off in the morning if you want, but a large amount of it is going to be used up by the sun.

If you used CDX product in your pool, that can cause the process to lengthen....it's just how it is and there's no getting around it. The CDX chemical hangs around for a very long time and is only very slowly broken down by chlorine so you just have to muscle your way through it.

You'll get there. Many others have been down this road and succeeded and you will too.

As for the cost, yes it is a lot to bear all at once but it gets much better. When you operate a chlorine pool the way TFP teaches, your chlorine costs will go down to $30-$40 per month. Depending on how long your swim season is and how much you keep your pool open during the winter, the cost of operating your pool will be one of the cheapest things in your home...

not sure what kind of ladder you have other than plastic but if it is usually filled with sand or water to weigh it down, you should clean the inside cavities as well as outside. after you empty it. if it is solid, nevermind....

I'll continue to move forward.
I've seen a lot of the struggles on several of the other post, but reading it is one thing and going through it is another. I've also read the instructions for the change and I always feel like I'm missing something. I guess it's from reading all the other post and just having everything run together.

Thanks for the reply, I'll stick my head from time to time to fill everyone in. By me being new to the whole pool upkeep, I'm sure I'll be asking even more questions once this is over.

Oh Babeboy, I'm sorry! I hadn't forgotten you! I work 14hour night shifts (a couple in a row) and sleep in between so hadn't had a chance to sign back in to check on you. I see you've had some answers from others, so I know you're in good hands. I'll be back home again tomorrow morning and will check in on you.

Keep up the good work! The pool is looking marvelous! Not too much longer I expect. It WILL be worth all this effort.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main reason to avoid testing CC’s during the conversion is simply to save reagent. During the conversion the CC’s will sky rocket and you will use more reagent unnecessarily. Now that your sand has been changed I suspect you’ll see that last touch of CC go away quickly.

Well so for no updates but all is well. We are all balanced and enjoying.
I have one question, well it might be for another thread.
Why when I turn my pump off I get back pressure back through my skimmer? It actually pushes my top off the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.