Baqua Green Pool

Aug 23, 2018
Hughson/CA
I use Baquacil and have always had a clear pool. Last week I left town for 6 days and when I got back there was a beginning of a light green tint to bottom of pool. I checked chemicals, added appropriate amount. Two days later my water in gross greenish Brown. Test strip says that I have enough sanitizer and algicide but low on oxidizer. I added and 24 hours later it’s still the same. Please help.

Welcome to the forum! :wave: Here at TFP, we help pool owners manage their water primarily with chlorine, and monitor those levels with a proper test kit, either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below). You'll find very often that test strips simply aren't worth the paper they're printed on. In any case, you might consider that Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine page. Most members here are very pleased with the results.

Because your thread title doesn't specify a Baqua pool, I'm going to add that to the title which should grab a few more viewers. Thanks for using the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized your pool is barely over 3K gallons, just over what we classify as a "seasonal pool". So if you did consider converting, you might also look at our Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page. You might get away with that process.

Welcome to TFP!

At that size I would just dump and start over. Given how difficult it can be to clear a green Baqua pool it will almost certainly be more cost effective to replace the water.

Sadly, this is not atypical of Baquacil pools we hear about, or that some of us used to experience. I will say that pools cared for with TFPC are nothing like the stereotypical chlorine smelling, eye stinging, swimsuit fading pool. Virtually everybody that has come here and converted has been happy with the results.

That all said, if you like Baqua I would suggest taking a stance that once things start to turn you change the water. With a smaller pool like yours it will be much faster and easier than trying to clear it with peroxide (which is pretty much always the answer, massive dosing of oxidizer well beyond what is called for).

Cross, that sounds unusual to me. i was using baquacil for a long time and never had problems with green algae. it was white mold and pink slime. their regimen calls for weekly dosages to minimize effort. seems strange that it could get out of hand that fast. i agree with others here that it would be easier to drain and refill than fight it. just a question....you did add hydrogen peroxide oxidizer right? your description of color is what you might expect if you added chlorine to a baquacil pool. good luck whichever way you go.

If you don't want to change the water my normal process is to floc with alum and sweep (similar to spring startup). Also once clear, change the sand in your filter - I've found this to be crucial to maintain a clear baquacil pool. Good luck!
Doesn't matter whether it is a baqua pool or a chlorine pool, we never recommend floccing or changing sand to fix a green pool. Green water is a chemistry problem, not a filtration problem.

Doesn't matter whether it is a baqua pool or a chlorine pool, we never recommend floccing or changing sand to fix a green pool. Green water is a chemistry problem, not a filtration problem.

Yes, but you use a LOT of BaquaShock that way; floccing will decrease the bioburden and help clear it up more quickly. In my 27 years experience with a Baqua pool.

The years I didn't change sand I wished I had because of water mold haze. Good place for it to hide! $40 worth of sand vs. $150-200 of chemicals. Perhaps Ahhsome would prevent that; it worked great on a minor pink slime issue in my new pool.

Cross, if practical the water change sounds like a good quick fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.