balancing pool before closing

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm trying to get my pool balanced this week so I can close it before the leaves start dropping. I tested all of the chemicals and everything is within normal limits except CH which is only 100 and CYA which is 30. I need some advice on what levels to increase CH and CYA to since I have a mesh cover that allows rainfall in all winter which tends to dilute the calcium and CYA. I'm not planning on using my SWG until Spring so I'm wondering if I need to increase my CYA to 70 like is recommended for saltwater pools, or increase it to a lower number since high CYA isn't needed over the winter. I also need to know what level to increase CH to since I have an older fiberglass pool with waterline tile and the CH level might decrease over the winter because of added rainfall. I'm also curious to know if I can chlorinate with Dichlor while I'm adding the calcium since it increases CYA and I already have some on hand.

If you plan on not using your SWG, then treat your pool as a non-SWG pool as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and balance with regular bleach accordingly. While CH isn't typically a critical factor in FB pools, you stated your pool is a bit older and you do have some tile work that needs to be cared for. In that case, I'd be inclined to keep the CH at the minimum level of about 200-220 just to be safe. You can use dichlor if you wish, just use the PoolMath to see what your CYA will raise to once added, that way you know what FC level to achieve. As a non-SWG pool (for winter), I wouldn't take the CYA any higher than 40.

I appreciate the advice. I will increase calcium to 220 just to be safe and chlorinate with Dichlor until my CYA gets to 40 and then switch to bleach. After I add the calcium, how long do I need to wait before adding Dichlor? Does the pump need to be run 24 hours after adding calcium since it tends to clump up and cloud the water or can it be shut off after 6 hours?

Calcium should not 'clump up'. If it does, you are adding it too fast. Add in small batches, over a couple days.

Pump just needs to run a couple hours to integrate the chemicals added.

You can add the dichlor anytime. It will not react with the calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.