Baking soda bad for cartridge filter?

Sep 5, 2016
Pgh, Pa
Hello all, I tried searching for this, but can't find anything on it. We started the TF system last year and I got a lot of flack from one of my dh's friends saying that you cannot use baking soda with a cartridge filter. We had absolutely no issues with it. Now we are looking into getting a gas heater and he is saying that you most definitely cannot use baking soda with a gas heater. Is there any truth or proof to this? I don't want to mess anything up! Thank you!

Hello all, I tried searching for this, but can't find anything on it. We started the TF system last year and I got a lot of flack from one of my dh's friends saying that you cannot use baking soda with a cartridge filter. We had absolutely no issues with it. Now we are looking into getting a gas heater and he is saying that you most definitely cannot use baking soda with a gas heater. Is there any truth or proof to this? I don't want to mess anything up! Thank you!
I guess I need to ask, why the baking soda? Low TA?

No, baking soda can be used with a cartridge filter. Brodcast in the deep end of the pool of even pre-diluted in a bucks and it's in solution before it ever hits the filter?

Did they say what you should use?

Just to quickly and directly answer your question. No, there is no truth or proof to this.

Did they say what you should use?
This is exactly what I'm wondering. I'm also very curious if he has a suggestion for what you are supposed to use to raise your TA instead of baking soda?

Oh I hope he says that you are supposed to use the TA increaser from the pool store that is literally 100% baking soda. I need a good stomach laugh today.

I figured there was a reason I couldn't find any info on this. Not sure why he is insisting it is bad for the filter. I just asked dh to ask what he uses to raise his TA, I'll wait patiently for the answer...lol.
I'm sure it's whatever the pool store sold him. I think he's afraid to believe the TF method works because it's so much cheaper.

I figured there was a reason I couldn't find any info on this. Not sure why he is insisting it is bad for the filter. I just asked dh to ask what he uses to raise his TA, I'll wait patiently for the answer...lol.
I'm sure it's whatever the pool store sold him. I think he's afraid to believe the TF method works because it's so much cheaper.
But, the bigger moral to the story is that the pool stores sell it to you and tell you to keep your TA at a level that we have found in most cases is too high. They generally say 100-120 while we find the 70 - 90 range makes pH more stable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.