Bad R-0870 DPD?

IDGT

Aug 22, 2018
Jupiter / Florida
Hello,
First I wanted to say what a great community here, very helpful and informative.
I purchased my first TF-100 test kit off Amazon from the seller Pool Supply Warehouse and after using the R-0870 for 2 months I’m staring to think it is bad and my testing is not as accurate as it could be. Does this look normal? It is a purple color and I need to break the powder up before use.
Thanks!

Attachments

• BD308F98-A8FD-451B-983A-FE07C676EA64.jpeg
    BD308F98-A8FD-451B-983A-FE07C676EA64.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 18
  • A2E317B5-9873-480D-9669-F632D6F682C7.jpeg
    A2E317B5-9873-480D-9669-F632D6F682C7.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 18
It's had excessive moisture causing the normally white powder to clump and turn dark.

Somewhat surprisingly, the dark stuff is still just fine. In the presence of chlorine, it will still turn your sample pink and is still perfectly accurate.

That said, it's troublesome to deal with that clumping and I would consider replacing it.

There's quite a bit of the powder accumulated around the rim of the jar perhaps indicating the lid hasn't been tight. Treat the powder as if it were a loaf of bread......seal it back up neat and clean right after you use it and it will stay whiter longer.

Once again, if you have chlorine in the pool, it will still turn your sample pink and it will still be accurate.

ID,

I've had the same thing happen when I leave the kit outside. It's pretty humid most of the time here in Stuart FL When I'm diligent about capping quickly and bringing it inside I get no clumping at all. As Dave mentioned above you may want to consider replacing it. It will work but I found it stained my graduated cylinder. If this happens don't ruin it with abrasive cleaner. The dark stain lifts off itself with a little vinegar. Easy peasy.

I do the same as Jim and buy most of my replacements from TF Testkits. They go on sale a couple times per year and it's nice to know they are top quality from a very reputable dealer that always puts customer service first.

Chris

Reactions: carnivalday
ID,

I've had the same thing happen when I leave the kit outside. It's pretty humid most of the time here in Stuart FL When I'm diligent about capping quickly and bringing it inside I get no clumping at all. As Dave mentioned above you may want to consider replacing it. It will work but I found it stained my graduated cylinder. If this happens don't ruin it with abrasive cleaner. The dark stain lifts off itself with a little vinegar. Easy peasy.

I do the same as Jim and buy most of my replacements from TF Testkits. They go on sale a couple times per year and it's nice to know they are top quality from a very reputable dealer that always puts customer service first.

Chris
Hey Chris,
Yes I just used the vinegar yesterday. It was staining pink with spots of dark purple, my mixing pill was getting tainted as well and good ole vinegar did the trick. I will check the site out. Staurt hmmm not far from my location in Jupiter.
Thanks!

Rubbing alcohol works too. I think I also read somewhere in the TF kit that you should keep some desiccant with it to prevent that. When I order my refill this spring I will try that out and see if it works.

Reactions: IDGT
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.