Bad install? Glass tile and coping

Not that I'm backing your PB, but in CA, plaster is done after final inspection. Safety features if it relates to the final inspection will need to be operation or it will not pass. After all inspections pass you can plaster and fill.

@Desert Dog We still need to have an inspection for safety and electrical alarms but we can’t do that until he finishes the baby gate which he is refusing to do until he gets payment. I’ve already installed the new gate latch and 3 window alarms.

Is that the final inspection?

To be honest I thought final inspection was with us and the pool builder reviewing everything.

Last edited:
Either way he has not fulfilled his end of the bargain under either interpretation. If he owes you work on your current payment schedule, you can either sue him for a refund commensurate to amount of outstanding work, sue him for specific performance to finish the work, walk away and have someone else finish the work, or pay him and hope he finishes. If you wish to continue with this guy you should write up a more specific contract for the remaining work.

As it is I think if you sued this guy in small claims to recoup any money he has, I think your evidence of substandard work, and his breach of contract would fall heavily in your favor.

Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude
You can also try o appeal to reason. Say you understand his frustration because he had to redo work, but that he needs to understand that the work that needed repair was objectionably defective. If he showed pictures of that work on his website or portfolio no one would ever think of hiring him. There is no way that his wife or family would accept that quality if they received that same service. A contractor that stands by his work owns his mistakes and doesn’t take it out on the customer. And that the right thing to do is honor the contract or refund you any money that he still has on hand for work owed. Tell him you are not a litigious person and that you know he will do the right thing, but that you reserve the right to take legal action if for some reason he decides to not honor his obligations.

For comparison, from our quote
10% Down
25% Excavate
43% Gunite
15% Deck
5% Plaster
2% Start Up

That corner tile job is just horrible. I think they should have started there, it's a focal point, and worked back.
Looks like he never worked with glass tile before. As a DIYer I installed glass tile as my very first tile job in my bathroom. I purchased a wet saw and a diamond blade. Came out perfect. This guy calls himself a professional and has the gall to pass that off, then mutter under his breath when he is called out? It’s insulting to anyone who takes pride in manual work. It’s so obvious that I think this guy can be shamed into doing the right thing. If OP feels like it’s worth the time to coddle his ego I think he can be talked back. Only reason to consider it is if OP thinks that’s in their best interest for expediency. You can even offer to hold the balance in escrow.

Reactions: Viper1550
I read final inspection to mean final building inspection with your municipality. I could also see how you can read it to mean final review of work done. Anyway he appears to be more than difficult. I would try talking to him and go over the line items in the contract that are in question. And I agree he is not holding up to the agreement with regards to the gate. At this point it would probably be less of a headache to wait for him too cool down and ask to go over the contact as there maybe a misunderstanding between you guys.

It would be weird to give full payment before the job is done.

Your builder works for you. If you're unhappy with his work, it must be done again. He's insured the work (likely for a year, as in our case). If you've got a remaining pay out, with-hold it and sue if he refuses to complete the job. The law is squarely on your side here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bet your heart is singing!!! OH YEAH!!!

Now do NOT turn off the water for any reason. It need to reach the middle of the water line times so it does not cause a ring on that pretty , new plaster!

Know your water color will take a while to show it's true color. It might have a slight green tint to it in the beginning. NO worries! It will settle out as the water is balanced and the plaster cures!

Kim:kim:

Very sad :(

For comparison, our contract states:

TOTAL PRICE $**,***.00
PAYMENT SCHEDULE:
1) 40% Due following excavation: $**,000.00
2) 30% Due following gunite shell: $**,000.00
3) 20% Due following deck pour: $**,000.00
4) 10% Due prior to plaster installation: $*,000.00

So my builder collects the last payment prior to the plaster installation. Not sure if this is an industry standard or not though.

Very similar to my contract... I think was only paying 5% at plaster and nothing else after. They tend to get a ton in the first 2 weeks with excavation and gunite and then can leave you hanging as much as they want through the rest of the build.

Does everyone have jets/caps/ whatever they are called screwed into your pvc pipe? As you can see mine is just a big open hole that’s flush with the wall. My bubbles are out of control, way to powerful.

Attachments

• BA4EB369-9777-4159-9B0C-AED09AF2D8BF.jpeg
    BA4EB369-9777-4159-9B0C-AED09AF2D8BF.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 63

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.