Par4monkey

Jul 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello. I have a Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter for my 16x32 inground pool. I use the BBB + M method to maintain my pool with the Taylor 2006-k test kit. The rubber o ring (metal inside) that divides the lid of the filter from the base needs to be replaced. Very minuscule leak right now due to the metal coming through the rubber portion. New seal arrived this evening. My question…could the faulty seal/o ring cause cloudy water? I religiously test my water with my kit and rotate through (3) sets of cartridges. I will be cleaning the cartridges again tomorrow when I replace the seal/o ring tomorrow but wanted to see if the cloudy water could be linked to the faulty seal/o-ring. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

Hello. I have a Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter for my 16x32 inground pool. I use the BBB + M method to maintain my pool with the Taylor 2006-k test kit. The rubber o ring (metal inside) that divides the lid of the filter from the base needs to be replaced. Very minuscule leak right now due to the metal coming through the rubber portion. New seal arrived this evening. My question…could the faulty seal/o ring cause cloudy water? I religiously test my water with my kit and rotate through (3) sets of cartridges. I will be cleaning the cartridges again tomorrow when I replace the seal/o ring tomorrow but wanted to see if the cloudy water could be linked to the faulty seal/o-ring. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!
I should also add that I need a new pressure gauge since mine is broken

Par,

Absolutely not.. Your leak has nothing to do with your cloudy water.

Your cloudy water is a chemical issue.. Either you have algae or you added something we do not recommend..

My "guess" is that you have algae because you are trying to keep your FC too low..

We need a set of test results.

I suggest that as soon as you get your leak fixed that you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.. OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

Par,

Your cloudy water is a chemical issue.. Either you have algae or you added something we do not recommend..

My "guess" is that you have algae because you are trying to keep your FC too low..

I suggest that as soon as you get your leak fixed that you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.. OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok, thank you. I didn’t think so but since I keep reading 90% of cloudy water can be traced back to filtration issues… it made me wonder.
If my FC needs to be at least a 3 prior to running the over night chlorine test…..how much time needs to pass between me adding liquid chlorine (after sundown) and getting that initial chlorine reading prior to going to bed?
Thank you for your response!

you have to start after the sun goes down tonight, so 9 pm or so.. measure FC then measure it again this time tomorrow morning.. you want 6 hours between the FC test overnight..

Could post up a full set of your test kit results and photo of the cloudy water?
My test results and picture from 7am (east coast) *no visible signs of algae growth

PH 7.5
TA 100
CH 110
CYA 50
FC 3
CC .2
TC 3.2

Attachments

• 7A664FB8-724D-4F3C-A08F-A4CFEAD2130B.jpeg
    7A664FB8-724D-4F3C-A08F-A4CFEAD2130B.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 1
  • C6E56551-6C65-417A-8563-6BCD369A7CF7.jpeg
    C6E56551-6C65-417A-8563-6BCD369A7CF7.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 1
  • A0FD5EE2-5557-4CA3-A27D-1ACCC194D08E.jpeg
    A0FD5EE2-5557-4CA3-A27D-1ACCC194D08E.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Par,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.