North San Diego County
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I think I may have encountered my first issue with a reagent. I noticed when I opened the DPD powder today that it was darker than normal. It is normally lighter/whiter and today it seemed dark and purple. I tried using it but it never really turned the water pink properly and thus was a challenge to get it to turn back to clear. Anyway, I was just wondering if I was off base with my hunch? I went ahead and purchased some more DPD powder and 871 just in case through TFPTestKits. Probably won't be here until next week so until then I am just keeping my SWG at full blast just in case but there is no indication at all of any algae issues. It's just a precaution on my side.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
The R-0870 powder is sensitive to moisture and if it is stored in a humid location it can be affected.

How did you have it stored?

jseyfert3

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Sounds like the powder may have gotten wet.

the_sphynx

Feb 19, 2019
North San Diego County
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Thanks, yeah maybe it could have. It was stored in my garage but who knows. Yeah the purple-ish color sort of made me think something was off. I'll toss it and wait for the new stuff to arrive next week.

Kellyp

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jul 5, 2018
Acworth ga
Whenever I have powder that turns purple, it turns the water sample a dark purple and won't clear completely, so I just get new.

Reactions: the_sphynx
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread