Bad Capacitor?

Aug 6, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I noticed this weekend that my Hayward Super II pump wasn't running during the normally scheduled time, so I took a look. When it comes "on" it hums for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. After researching, I noticed that I was advised to check both the impeller for free motion and if that's not it, the capacitor is likely bad. Is testing the impeller really as easy as putting a screwdriver in (power off, of course) and seeing if it turns freely? Also, considering it hums for 5 seconds and then dies, is there a possibility that it could be something other than the capacitor?

Speaking of capacitor, does anyone know if Home Depot sells replacements? I ask because the pool supply places by me don't appear to carry them in stock and I'd like to try to get the part ASAP because I'm going under the knife for surgery this week and would like to fix this before I am unable to do so without assistance.

Probably a bad capacitor. Remove the old one and see if it's bulged or damaged and to get the part number.

Search capacitor or electric motor repair for someone local who carries capacitors

Almost definitely a pool store should have a capacitor. Did you call multiple places?

Is testing the impeller really as easy as putting a screwdriver in (power off, of course) and seeing if it turns freely? Also, considering it hums for 5 seconds and then dies, is there a possibility that it could be something other than the capacitor?
It could also be bad bearings. If frozen, the motor will shut down once it heats up although 5 seconds is very short period time for the thermal limiter to switch. Were you able to move the impeller at all? You might want to rule that out before getting a capacitor.

You might be able to reach in the hole behind the pump basket to feel the impeller or access the shaft from the back by removing the back cover.

A run capacitor will usually be obviously bad evidenced by a bulging end if you want to inspect it.

A start capacitor is sometimes obvious and sometimes not.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.