bad bleach - never mind, I'm an idiot

Idahoser

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
Memphis, TN
Disregard, logic finally prevailed. My problem was not bad bleach, it was lack of conditioner.
----------------------------------
Heads up, if you're buying a lot, better check it first.
Bought the last I could find at Wally World, then my wife discovered Lowe's has it too. ALL of this last batch from BOTH stores is completely useless. 4 gallons in 25,000 and two hours later, chlorine is 0%. I don't know if the date codes on the jugs are manufacture or expiration, but they are both 2019, day around 180-190.
Lowe's says they'll take back what I haven't used already, but I guess I'll have to waste the effort and money on the new 6% Wally World 121oz bleach now. (for the same price it was at 8%!)

Last edited:

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
It's extremely unlikely you would get completely depleted liquid chlorine, even if stored outside it would only be weakened. Have you been having any issues with your water chemistry lately?

Reactions: Idahoser

Idahoser

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
Memphis, TN
only this past few days with this junk, been using it all summer. It's now cloudy but it's been good up til this. Using a TF-100 kit.
Last night I put in the Pool-Math recommended 7 gallons of Clorox 6% from Costco, this morning it's off-scale high on the daily test, this evening I'll do a drop test to get an accurate count.
This however shows we're doing the test correctly and the other stuff just didn't raise the Chlorine. After 4 gallons of the alleged 10%, Drop test showed the Combined Chlorine was 0.5, Free Chlorine 0

Last edited:

Idahoser

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
Memphis, TN
Okay, I've finally pulled my head out and gotten the whole picture. My CYA is zero, which of course means chlorine doesn't survive a day in sunlight. Now I just need to figure out how that happened. My test showed that it went up a couple months ago faster than I expected from running the feeder and using powdered shock. This was to deliberately bring up the CYA after replacing about 80% of the water, but my test indicated it had gone up way too fast, so what I imagine has happened is that my test was wrong, either bad chemicals or bad operator. I did another test a month or so ago and still showed CYA at 40, I thought it was high then, I like 30. So it hasn't really rained or anything to change it in the past month, I thought CYA was supposed to remain pretty static?

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
If your CYA dropped from 40 to zero in a month it wasn't natural decay. That points to either a leak or a bacterial conversion to ammonia.

Do you happen to have a current FC and CC reading handy? If there was an ammonia conversion you would almost instantly lose your FC and gain a considerable CC. On the yellow OTO test this wouldn't be evident, since it measures total chlorine, but the FAS-DPD test would show it.