Backyard Oasis Build Thread - Houston - All Done. =)

If you have a water softener then your inside water should have ZERO calcium. That is the purpose of the water softener is to remove calcium. So test that again. If you have calcium in the inside then your water softener is not functioning properly.

Some water softeners are connected to your outside water bibs and some are not - just depends how they set it up. Maybe take a picture of your water softener set up (from different angles) and I can give you some additional feedback.

So test your 2 different outside water bibs and where your autofeed will be connected so you know which is what.
@HermanTX hi!!

so I tested the water again and my results are so different from what I did two weeks ago.

we made sure salt was in the softener, then waited two weeks.

I also tested the water from both water bibs outside - one close to the pool and one that is connected to the auto fill. The calcium levels are different. I tested 3 times because my results were so off.

Calcium Hardness
  • Outside pool fill: started purple - 1 drop
  • Inside: 1 drop (same as outside)
  • Auto fill tap: red - 8 drops - 200
Total Alkalinity
  • outside pool: 12 drops - 120
  • Auto fill tap: 12 drops - 120
  • inside: 12 drops - 120
questions:

1. I think the softener is working! I also think my outside bib close to the pool is tied to the softener . Should the PB use the bib the the auto fill is connected to? That seems to indicate there is some calcium.

2. The TA is the same for all three water samples. does that seem strange?

3. When using the smart stir - do you keep the stir going the entire time while dropping or drop then stir then stop and then drop again - stir, continue same pattern? I did the drop, stir, stop, drop, stir, stop….

thank you for your help!

Start the stirer before you add any chemicals and keep it rotating as you do all your drops. Let it continuously mix.

I am not surprised your TA is the same. The softener does not affect the TA.

Reactions: JMSMommy
1. I think the softener is working! I also think my outside bib close to the pool is tied to the softener . Should the PB use the bib the the auto fill is connected to? That seems to indicate there is some calcium.
Yes - you have softened water at both the inside and that 1 outside tap
Discuss with the PB but I would think he wants to use the auto fill line as that will add calcium. Overtime, you will need to monitor the calcium level because your autofill will add hard water every time the pool needs water and it will build over time. Just something to monitor.

2. The TA is the same for all three water samples. does that seem strange?
Nope. This is perfectly acceptable as a water softener does not reduce alkalinity. Actually, your testing is very good to get the exact same results.

3. When using the smart stir - do you keep the stir going the entire time while dropping or drop then stir then stop and then drop again - stir, continue same pattern? I did the drop, stir, stop, drop, stir, stop….
As Allen provided, start the stirrer, add the drops. It is a continuous process. Now some stirrers automatically shut off after 1 minute so just restart it but you should complete your test within that allotted time.

You are doing great. Seems it is all coming together just as you hoped.

Water has slowly been filling…the guys acid washed the pool this morning and then started filling…will the dirt at the bottom of the pool eventually come off? I am assuming yes…that’s why we need to scrub the pool after?

Now that you are filling just remember to do not stop until middle of waterline tiles. Did you remember to take a picture of your water meter reading before they started to fill? If not, that is fine.
Is your plumbing and electrical all connected? Such that you can start the pump once you stop filling. Then as you brush the dirt will be captured in the filter. You will be brushing the walls and floor to keep the plaster dust in suspension such that it can be captured by the filter as the water circulates. You do not want to have plaster dust just sitting on the new plaster.

Please read

Now that you are filling just remember to do not stop until middle of waterline tiles. Did you remember to take a picture of your water meter reading before they started to fill? If not, that is fine.
Is your plumbing and electrical all connected? Such that you can start the pump once you stop filling. Then as you brush the dirt will be captured in the filter. You will be brushing the walls and floor to keep the plaster dust in suspension such that it can be captured by the filter as the water circulates. You do not want to have plaster dust just sitting on the new plaster.

Please read

i did take a picture 😊. The PB said they will be here first thing Tuesday morning to do pool start up. I need to brush twice a day once completely full.
I have no clue how to turn anything on. I did speak with our PB and he said all will be fine 🤷🏽‍♀️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 days and 17100 gallons of water later, here are our pictures of blue surf with shimmering sea. These are pictures without the pool start up. The PB will come on Tuesday to do that. I think the color changes a little once the chemicals are put in. It is a little murky to me right now.

Enjoy. =)

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1767.jpeg
    IMG_1767.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1773.jpeg
    IMG_1773.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1771.jpeg
    IMG_1771.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 161
2 days and 17100 gallons of water later, here are our pictures of blue surf with shimmering sea. These are pictures without the pool start up. The PB will come on Tuesday to do that. I think the color changes a little once the chemicals are put in. It is a little murky to me right now.

Enjoy. =)
Beautiful and yes, you will seem some color change after start-up.

Enjoy. =)
Nice pictures and overall a great pool. You will definitely see the color changes once you have the pool chemistry balanced and the plaster dust is filtered out. Is your pool pump running?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.