Backwashing sand filter with variable speed pump?

texasAUtiger

Jul 10, 2021
Waco, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What RPM setting should I use on my VSP when I backwash the sand filter? (PB did not say.)

Also, what RPM should I use to check for the increase in pump pressure to tell when to backwash? As of now, I generally run at 1800 RPM and no pressure ever registers. If I turn it up to 2800, it sits at 10 psi.

I backwash at 100% (3450 rpm). I also do pressure checks at full rpms.

The problem I find is that it is hard to tell when to backwash except at full rpms. At 1725 rpms, my pressure gauge is at around 3 psi. Last week, I was in the pool and I felt low water flow from one of the jets. I went and looked and the SWG was flashing for no flow. When I set the pump at full rpms, the pressure was 33% higher than when the sand filter is clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: texasAUtiger
@Homebrewale has a much smaller VS pump than you.

So I would not go much above 3000 rpm for either function with your Intelliflo. I would think the 2800 rpm would be enough to backwash and check your filter pressures.

Last edited:
Reactions: texasAUtiger
I backward at 100% (3450 rpm). I also do pressure checks at full rpms.

The problem I find is that it is hard to tell when to backwash except at full rpms. At 1725 rpms, my pressure gauge is at around 3 psi. Last week, I was in the pool and I felt low water flow from one of the jets. I went and looked and the SWG was flashing for no flow. When I set the pump at full rpms, the pressure was 33% higher than when the sand filter is clean.

How often do you backwash?

How often do you backwash?

This year, I backwash about every 1.5 months. Previous years, I would backwash maybe once per season. The change is due to my daughter bringing her two dogs over to swim once or twice a week. They like to swim, roll in the mulch, and then repeat that process several times. When they step into the pool, a plume of fine wood dirt comes off their fur. They're non-shedding dogs that have hair like a poodle. I tolerate it since I like the dogs and they're a lot of fun but I cringe when I see the dirt going into the pool.

Edit: Right after I wrote this post, I get a text from my daughter that she wants to bring her dogs over because it's too hot to walk them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.