Backwashing DE filter before closing....Add DE powder

Aug 30, 2019
South Salem, NY
Hi All,

About to close my pool in a week or two with the help of a friend who knows what they are doing.

Question on my end, I am going to do last backwash before closing it up, should i still add the appropriate amount of DE powder to the filter? Or can that wait until i open it up next summer?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
My neighbor has his pool closed by a service and they totally clean the grids and remove all DE and don't add any more back to it for winter closing.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I clean my DE filter at closing and leave it empty for the winter.

You don’t want DE and water in the filter through the winter.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
is it a necessity to clean the filter? Or is that something that is more peace of mind? Definitely draining the filter either way
Not a necessity for closing but I figure a DE filter should be broken down and cleaned once a year. So
I clean it at closing and it is ready to go at opening in the spring. I don’t want to leave gunked up dirty grids to dry out over the winter. Thats my thinking. .

Aug 30, 2019
South Salem, NY
Not a necessity for closing but I figure a DE filter should be broken down and cleaned once a year. So
I clean it at closing and it is ready to go at opening in the spring. I don’t want to leave gunked up dirty grids to dry out over the winter. Thats my thinking. .
Awesome thanks, ill look to clean it out. Just good old fashioned water or do you soak in a solution? Also, do you put it back in filter for winter or store it in a warmer place?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Awesome thanks, ill look to clean it out. Just good old fashioned water or do you soak in a solution? Also, do you put it back in filter for winter or store it in a warmer place?
Hose it down and soak in dishwasher detergent depending on how gunked up it is.

Put it back in the filter for the winter.