Aug 30, 2019
Westchester, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

About to close my pool in a week or two with the help of a friend who knows what they are doing.

Question on my end, I am going to do last backwash before closing it up, should i still add the appropriate amount of DE powder to the filter? Or can that wait until i open it up next summer?

My neighbor has his pool closed by a service and they totally clean the grids and remove all DE and don't add any more back to it for winter closing.

I clean my DE filter at closing and leave it empty for the winter.

You don’t want DE and water in the filter through the winter.

is it a necessity to clean the filter? Or is that something that is more peace of mind? Definitely draining the filter either way

Not a necessity for closing but I figure a DE filter should be broken down and cleaned once a year. So
I clean it at closing and it is ready to go at opening in the spring. I don’t want to leave gunked up dirty grids to dry out over the winter. Thats my thinking. .

Not a necessity for closing but I figure a DE filter should be broken down and cleaned once a year. So
I clean it at closing and it is ready to go at opening in the spring. I don’t want to leave gunked up dirty grids to dry out over the winter. Thats my thinking. .
Awesome thanks, ill look to clean it out. Just good old fashioned water or do you soak in a solution? Also, do you put it back in filter for winter or store it in a warmer place?

Awesome thanks, ill look to clean it out. Just good old fashioned water or do you soak in a solution? Also, do you put it back in filter for winter or store it in a warmer place?

Hose it down and soak in dishwasher detergent depending on how gunked up it is.

Put it back in the filter for the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.