Backwashing and Rinse

poolboy00

May 25, 2019
Big Stone Gap, VA
I bought a house with a pool that sat for three years. Did a lot of repairs. I now have the pool clear and ready to go. Due to all the debris in the pool I have to backwash and rinse a lot. Does it take a little bit for the water level to level out. I didn’t notice it when I was vacuuming and backwashing. But this morning it looked like it went down about 1/4”. I have replaced the skimmer and the multiport valve. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Yes, it does use water.

Backwash sends it backwards through the filter and out the waste port. Rinse sends the water through the filter normally but sends it out the waste port instead of back to the pool.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Did you move the valve back to filter immediately after that? I usually do then run it for a few seconds.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I ran the backwash for a couple minutes till the water went clear. Then ran the rinse for about a minute. Would that be enough for the water to drop?
Oh, yeah! Your waste line must be hard plumbed. If you could see it blowing out the end of the backwash hose, you'd have zero doubt about it. It's like a firehose. Really.