Backwash hose question

orangepower10

Jul 13, 2019
Sulphur, Oklahoma
Just built our own pool and trying to figure out how to backwash without the hose busting. The problem is that when I turn my pump on it primes and pumps too much water for my 2 inch hose. Is there a way for me to limit the amount of water coming through?

I’ve read the suggestions on getting a fire hose but I’d like to see if I can get this to work before buying another hose. Thanks.

My previous pool had a BALL VALVE plumbed at the outlet that allowed me to reduce pressure enough to use one of those cheap flat hoses. You'd need to get the right fittings for your hose. Just an option if you can't reduce pump pressure enough.

It really depends on where you live... In the DFW area, DE and Sand Filters must be plumbed to the sewer.. You are not allowed to drain to the street.

Jim R.

I worked for a pool company in Dallas for a few years, and am up in Tulsa now. I wish we plumbed B/W lines to sewer here, the vast majority are just hoses into the yard.

To answer OPs question: What kind of hose are you using? I use backwash hoses on 10 pools a week and none of them have ever burst, even at 3450rpm, unless there was a kink or it wasn't unrolled fully.

Thanks for all the replies. We live in Oklahoma. We bought one of the cheap blue flat hoses at Lowes to get us by until this spring/summer until we can put in a PVC line to the creek. When I backwash, I set it to 1000 rpm's but during the prime its coming out much faster (probably close to 3250). It's busted the seam out at the end 3 different times.

You probably have a 1.5" hose, not a 2" hose. A 2" hose would work better.

Go to Max allowed speed in settings and set it to a lower speed than 3450.

I would suggest 2,400 rpm.

How long is the hose?

Last edited:
When you do hard plumb the waste line, make sure that you put a vacuum breaker on the line so that it can drain and put a union in the line so that you can periodically check to make sure that the multiport is not leaking in Filter mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.