Backfill waiting time

amiller00

Jul 15, 2020
syracuse, ny
My wife and I just had an in-ground, vinyl, steal wall pool installed. Unfortunately I did not do my due diligence ahead of time and had the excavated dirt used as backfill. We would like to wait until next Spring to allow time for the dirt to settle. My concern is leaving the pool uncovered over the winter. I live in update New York and we tend to get a lot of snow. I am not sure if the snow will have an damaging affect on an uncovered pool without a supporting deck as will. We had the pool backfilled this past Saturday and in some areas it has already settled close to a foot. Any insights would be much appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

You do plan on closing and winterizing the pool? I think you need to create some type of winter cover over the pool.

Let's see what suggestions @jimmythegreek has.

It is not the snow that damages a liner. It is the ice that forms in the water and then has sharp edges that can cut the liner if the ice moves. Once you have ice on the water you do not want to touch it.

You need to use a thick tarp as a cover that is wider then the pool. Anchor the tarp into the dirt. The tarp will probably sag under the weight of the snow and rest on the water. Don’t lower the water too much, just below the skimmer mouth. You will need to monitor the water level in the pool during the winter and if there is no ice on the surface and water level gets up to the skimmer then pump water out.

I don't have a good opinion on a tarp because I have never "closed" a pool.

I will say you are very wise to give that bad backfill a year to settle. I would then bring it up to grade with clean washed gravel as a sub base for the decking.

You have water in the pool now, correct?

The pool is fine over the winter as long as the backfill is close to the waterline or above it. No cover needed. The cover protects against UV damage and to keep pool clean over winter with fall leaves. I've left many pools sit including my own. Obviously the pool needs to be winterized

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would dig up the area around the stairs amd try to water in some material or just dig down amd fill it like it's supposed to be. settled dirt never makes it under the lower stairs I prefer to form amd pour the extra collar concrete under them til the truck runs dry or form is filled

I have never had a winter cover in the 5 years I have had a pool... No issues at all... It had about 5 inches of ice in it last winter.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.