Back to Back to Back Issue

Jul 27, 2021
Atlanta
Hi all. I am a relatively new pool owner. Purchased a home with salt water pool in May of 2017. The pool and equipment are 10+ years old, not sure of actual age. We've had relatively few issues over the last four years (had to replace a filter pump motor), but now have several issues in a short time period. We have a pool tech from a reputable pool company, but have still had to figure out most things on our own. The tech that comes out regularly is really just here to clean the pool and take care of regular maintenance, anything more than that and we have to engage the owner. The issues started end of winter/early spring with the Jandy control panel fuses repeated blowing. My pool tech kept changing the fuses, but they would just blow again and he could never figure out the issue. Well, they stopped blowing out when the sheer descent would not close and I figured out with the help of reading through these boards that the actuator was clearly going bad causing the fuses to blow and they stopped blowing when it ultimately died, so we switched out the actuator and sheer descent started working and no more blown fuses. Fast forward to late Spring and the control panel on the pool heater went out. I bought a new control panel, switched it out myself, and everything working properly again. A week after replacing the pool heater, the tech advised that the AquaPure had failed. I ordered a new one online. It took a couple weeks to be processed and delivered and our tech installed it last week on his regular rotation. Well, we haven't gone in the pool since then, but I decided to check the pool temperature with the app today. After turning the pump on, I never received a reading so I went into the "web" version and it says that the sensors are "Open". The web also says AquaPure 0%; Salt 1400 PPM; Check AquaPure; (Low Salt). So I text the owner that I think that all of these issues are related, I don't think the AquaPure is set up properly, and why are the sensors open? He responds that "open" means the sensor is broken and needs to be replaced, that this all was probably the result of a lightning strike and we're figuring out the issues one by one and that the AquaPure is set to 100%. Can I please get your thoughts? Specifically, I want to understand if replacing the AquaPure could cause the sensors to go out, whether all of this is potentially related or just a coincidence that everything is going out about the same time, and whether the AquaPure is actually set up correctly. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 6.52.54 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 6.52.54 PM.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1720.PNG
    IMG_1720.PNG
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1724.PNG
    IMG_1724.PNG
    99.1 KB · Views: 9
The Pool Temp sensor and Air Temp sensor have nothing to do with your AquaPure system other then if your Aqualink system does not have operating sensors it does not allow the Aquapure to operate. The two sensors connect directly to your Aqualink panel. The fact that you have been in the Aqualink panel multiple times means I would first check the sensor connections to the Aqualink board. They may have been accidentally disconnected with the other work.

Then I would do some diagnostics on the sensors using a multimeter. It appears your pool company does not know how to do any diagnostics and simply throws parts at a problem. The sensors are 10K thermistors and you disconnect them from the board and measure their resistance. Then lookup the resistance using the chart below and see if it is giving the correct resistance for the temp. If the sensor reads 0 then it is open and needs to be replaced.

Could lightning have caused your problem? Maybe or maybe not? Who knows! Nice throwaway line from your pool guy.

See figure 20 on page 22 of https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/0748-91071/6594.pdf?force=1 for where the temp sensors connect to the Aqualink.

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Good Day. This is a follow up to my thread from earlier and linked below. I ordered two new temperature sensors after a slew of other issues. The Pool Servicing Company owner came out to replace them today and "discovered" that the current sensors are not the problem. As such, it must be the IAqualink Control Board and he wants to replace it with Version 2.0 if available as it's cheaper, but Version 3.0 if not. The pool otherwise operates normally and on schedule, the only thing that isn't functioning right now is the pool heater as it won't ignite without a temperature reading. I am being advised that the board and parts will cost me $1300 + $250 for installation if we have to get Version 3.0. This issue didn't arise until we replaced the AquaPure Salt Water cell. Now I am curious if the salt cell needed to be replaced in the first place, that alone was $800 plus $60 installation cost. He says they are absolutely not related. I don't understand how all of the other components can operate with the exclusion of the temperature sensors if the control board has failed. Any other thoughts on what could be the issue here and if the replacement of the salt water cell could have caused this?

Also, I don't understand why my system status shows AquaPure 0%; Check AquaPure; General Fault when the salt cell was just replaced.

Back to Back to Back Issues

Attachments

• Pool Status.jpg
    Pool Status.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm not an expert (but I did have a Jandy Aquapure at one time), but have you added any salt? 1400 is too low for the cell to work, I believe.

Good Day. This is a follow up to my thread from earlier and linked below. I ordered two new temperature sensors after a slew of other issues. The Pool Servicing Company owner came out to replace them today and "discovered" that the current sensors are not the problem.

What did they do to determine the sensors were not the problem?

As such, it must be the IAqualink Control Board and he wants to replace it with Version 2.0 if available as it's cheaper, but Version 3.0 if not.

This is the first time I have heard of the PCB the cause of temp sensors not working. Are they guessing again and just throwing parts at the problem?

The pool otherwise operates normally and on schedule, the only thing that isn't functioning right now is the pool heater as it won't ignite without a temperature reading.

Also, if your Aqualink system does not have operating sensors it does not allow the Aquapure to operate.

I am being advised that the board and parts will cost me $1300 + $250 for installation if we have to get Version 3.0.

Here is what is involved in replacing the PCB - https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0293700.pdf

@PoolGate do you know where replacements Aqualink PCBs can be bought by a consumer?

This issue didn't arise until we replaced the AquaPure Salt Water cell. Now I am curious if the salt cell needed to be replaced in the first place, that alone was $800 plus $60 installation cost. He says they are absolutely not related. I don't understand how all of the other components can operate with the exclusion of the temperature sensors if the control board has failed. Any other thoughts on what could be the issue here and if the replacement of the salt water cell could have caused this?

Of course he would say that. Not being there to see what he did and examine the equipment we can't say. I assume you have not kept the removed parts. In the future you should.

Also, I don't understand why my system status shows AquaPure 0%; Check AquaPure; General Fault when the salt cell was just replaced.

Back to Back to Back Issues

If your Aqualink system does not have operating sensors it does not allow the Aquapure to operate.

The only reliable place to get Jandy boards is ebay. I do think AquaPure will work without the Jandy sensors since it uses its own temperature, salinity and flow sensors (tri-sensor). Your salinity, of course, is way too low for AquaPure to work, which is what your screen is telling you in your OP.

The only reliable place to get Jandy boards is ebay. I do think AquaPure will work without the Jandy sensors since it uses its own temperature, salinity and flow sensors (tri-sensor).

While I don't have an Aquapure I think we determined the Aqualink shuts down the Aquapure if there is no water temp sensor. Don't know why Jandy did it that way.

Your salinity, of course, is way too low for AquaPure to work, which is what your screen is telling you in your OP.

The pic in post #3 is the current SWG status.

While I don't have an Aquapure I think we determined the Aqualink shuts down the Aquapure if there is no water temp sensor. Don't know why Jandy did it that way.

The pic in post #3 is the current SWG status.

Yeah odd are you sure about that? I actually don't know maybe one day I will disconnect my temp sensor and see if it still works. But, he can always just disconnect the 4 wire link to it and operate it directly from the panel LCD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.