Back from vacation, high chlorine

Jun 1, 2015
Central TX
Before leaving on vacation, I dosed my pool to around 20ppm FC (I thought), placed pucks in the floater and covered with winter cover.

Just got back to a clear pool with the following test results.
FC-40 (may be more, never really went fully clear)
CC-0
TA-70
CH-150
PH-7.2
CYA-40

the CH test produced green/yellow(high chlorine) and isn't accurate but tested at 150 before vacation.

What should I do to get back to swimming? Do I need to partially drain or wait for the sun to cook it out?

TIA
Butch

I am curious, 5 pucks fully dissolved in your pool volume would add 20 ppm FC. How many pucks did you put in the floater?

Going forward, what should I have done differently?

My thinking was that the small plume i was correcting would eat some of the extra, bringing it under SLAM levels and the pucks would maintain until i got home two weeks later. Before leaving, I was adding 130+ oz of 10% daily (3 days) to maintain SLAM.

The cover prevents most of the FC from being consume by the sun. After being my pool to slam level the FC takes about 5 days to drift down to target if I leave the cover on.

Marty and Pat, any reason why the OP should not use hydrogen peroxide to bring his FC back to SLAM levels?
I understand it is not recommended because in most cases it isn’t really necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marty and Pat, any reason why the OP should not use hydrogen peroxide to bring his FC back to SLAM levels?
I understand it is not recommended because in most cases it isn’t really necessary.
FC will drop rapidly with sun on the pool surface. Should be below SLAM level in 2 days or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.