Back from vacation, high chlorine

butchcassidy

Jun 1, 2015
Central TX
Before leaving on vacation, I dosed my pool to around 20ppm FC (I thought), placed pucks in the floater and covered with winter cover.

Just got back to a clear pool with the following test results.
FC-40 (may be more, never really went fully clear)
CC-0
TA-70
CH-150
PH-7.2
CYA-40

the CH test produced green/yellow(high chlorine) and isn't accurate but tested at 150 before vacation.

What should I do to get back to swimming? Do I need to partially drain or wait for the sun to cook it out?

TIA
Butch

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am curious, 5 pucks fully dissolved in your pool volume would add 20 ppm FC. How many pucks did you put in the floater?

butchcassidy

Jun 1, 2015
Central TX
I am curious, 5 pucks fully dissolved in your pool volume would add 20 ppm FC. How many pucks did you put in the floater?
I think I had 6 in there. When I pulled the floater I had about ¼ of 1 left. I never tested before leaving. I was having a small algae battle and was following SLAM when I left and then tossed in a gallon when I went out the door.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hope the liner still has some color ----

butchcassidy

Jun 1, 2015
Central TX
Going forward, what should I have done differently?

My thinking was that the small plume i was correcting would eat some of the extra, bringing it under SLAM levels and the pucks would maintain until i got home two weeks later. Before leaving, I was adding 130+ oz of 10% daily (3 days) to maintain SLAM.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
In the future, you can just bump up to slam level and cover the pool if you have to leave town. You don't need extra in a floater, if the pool is clear.

AK-

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2021
Randolph, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
The cover prevents most of the FC from being consume by the sun. After being my pool to slam level the FC takes about 5 days to drift down to target if I leave the cover on.

Marty and Pat, any reason why the OP should not use hydrogen peroxide to bring his FC back to SLAM levels?
I understand it is not recommended because in most cases it isn’t really necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Marty and Pat, any reason why the OP should not use hydrogen peroxide to bring his FC back to SLAM levels?
I understand it is not recommended because in most cases it isn’t really necessary.
FC will drop rapidly with sun on the pool surface. Should be below SLAM level in 2 days or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread