Back after a year break and forgot my ways.... 😔

nksprts

Silver Supporter
Aug 10, 2016
NE Pennsylvania
Hi all, I am back to great forum after taking off last year from the pool for other issues. I hope all is well and safe. This year the pool is up and running and should be full by tomorrow. I just ordered a brand new T-100 test kit to replace my old one which was all low and have sat there for a bit. I have 2 quick questions because I have been out of the game.
1. Because of covid I am having trouble finding just normal over the counter bleach in my area that isnt unscented or splashless. My wife found something at Walmart in pool section from a company called pool essentials called chlorination liquid... Would you use that the same as just normal bleach? I have never used anything other then normal over the counter bleach.
2. I kind of forget how to start. I looked at past posts. Do I initially just add chlorine and cya and then go from there once it's full? I don't remember how I started the year off. My mind is going. It's a 16x48 that I have in my profile.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Welcome back. The Walmart Pool Essentials is great stuff, treat it as 10% bleach so you will have to use less of it than standard bleach.

Reactions: nksprts
Hi all, I am back to great forum after taking off last year from the pool for other issues. I hope all is well and safe. This year the pool is up and running and should be full by tomorrow. I just ordered a brand new T-100 test kit to replace my old one which was all low and have sat there for a bit. I have 2 quick questions because I have been out of the game.
1. Because of covid I am having trouble finding just normal over the counter bleach in my area that isnt unscented or splashless. My wife found something at Walmart in pool section from a company called pool essentials called chlorination liquid... Would you use that the same as just normal bleach? I have never used anything other then normal over the counter bleach.
2. I kind of forget how to start. I looked at past posts. Do I initially just add chlorine and cya and then go from there once it's full? I don't remember how I started the year off. My mind is going. It's a 16x48 that I have in my profile.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!
Welcome back! That is the only liquid chlorine we use. But it is 10% not 6%, so be sure to adjust your poolmath entries
Take a full set of tests and then balance from there! It will all start to come back!

Welcome back! Check your water volume... I am around 6000 gallons.

When needed, I get liquid chlorine in reusable container from local pool store.

if it’s a new fill, use Pool Math app to estimate how much cya to add via the sock method to get you to 30. Use that number to determine daily chlorine. And head on into Pool School in my signature for a refresher course!

Click on your Member name. Go to Preferences. You can set up email notices. Might have to add address to contact list so emails do not go to Spam folder.

OK got my test kit in the mail. Been just adding chlorine daily for now till it came. Just ran my first full test.

Fc 1
Cc 0
Ph 7.5
Ta 120
Ch 175
Cya 0

Right now I just added stabilizer to raise cya to 40 according to pool math. Bungied 30 oz of stabilezer in a sock in front of water pump.
My plan was to let that dissolve then later tonight bring my fc up to 7.

Does this all sound right? It's been so long and trying to make sure I do this right and all my number look OK to everyone. Am I doing this right?

Thank you!

OK got my test kit in the mail. Been just adding chlorine daily for now till it came. Just ran my first full test.

Fc 1
Cc 0
Ph 7.5
Ta 120
Ch 175
Cya 0

Right now I just added stabilizer to raise cya to 40 according to pool math. Bungied 30 oz of stabilezer in a sock in front of water pump.
My plan was to let that dissolve then later tonight bring my fc up to 7.

Does this all sound right? It's been so long and trying to make sure I do this right and all my number look OK to everyone. Am I doing this right?

Thank you!
I told you it would come back.

If the water is warm enough, take FC to 3 now and hop in!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Richard! Cold day here today. Only about 60 but kids may jump in, braver then me. But all next week is in high 80s so should be perfect.

Is it OK to add chlorine while stabilizer is disolving in the sock still or should I wait a certain amount of time. Also, does everything else seem good to you assuming I get chlorine up and Cya leveled out? Thanks again!

Thanks Richard! Cold day here today. Only about 60 but kids may jump in, braver then me. But all next week is in high 80s so should be perfect.

Is it OK to add chlorine while stabilizer is disolving in the sock still or should I wait a certain amount of time. Also, does everything else seem good to you assuming I get chlorine up and Cya leveled out? Thanks again!
Generally good practice to wait 15 minutes between chemicals with the exception of CYA, because it can take a couple days to dissolve. So go ahead and add the chlorine if the kids are feeling brave. The numbers look fine. But with so little CYA in the water yet, that 1 FC is probably already gone.

OK, I subscribed to the pool math app so I can track it better. Happy to say nailed the cya sock method and was perfect 40 after adding last night. Pool math is a little worried about a few other things. I will attach screenshot, anything I need to be alarmed about or let it ride?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200614-223442.jpg
    Screenshot_20200614-223442.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.