Automation upgrade

Oct 30, 2018
Tucson, AZ
I am a relatively new pool owner with the purchase of our new home in October '18. The existing pool automation is a Pentair Compool CP100 system with an electromechanical timer to control the main pool filtration task and a couple of motorized Jandy valves that control flow to the attached spa. My desire is to upgrade the system in a manner that allows me to control the pool automation from my smartphone or computer. Additionally, I am considering upgrading the system to automate the chemical balance using SBControls Chemtrol 255 controller. My first step is to replace the existing worn out single speed pump with a variable speed unit.

I'm not very familiar with the Pentair family of controls so I'd like some feedback on my parts selection and overall plan. Thanks in advance!

Parts I think I need:
It ain't gonna be cheap! However, I think it will significantly reduce the manual chlorination and pH adjustment I go through on an almost daily basis. Also concerned about how well Cl will remain "fresh" in a container stored outside in my pool equipment enclosure in 100+ degree heat.

Sorry you have had no responses.

In general, we find that controls that measure and adjust chemistry in pools are overall not reliable. If you wish to automate the addition of chemical (be it acid or liquid chlorine) that is fine, but proper testing should be used to direct adjustments.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks, Marty.

The reason I looked into the chemical automation is because the pool requires attention if left unattended for several weeks. With a free chlorine PPM and pH sensor on a setpoint controller, it's essentially doing what I would be manually doing. I always plan to double check the results with my test kit, but some automation when left unattended is very important to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.