Automating Acid dose via intelli PH and Bleach dose via Stenner pump.

Feaker

Gold Supporter
Dec 7, 2019
Austin
I was looking at getting an Intelli PH for Acid dosing and a stenner pump for chlorine dosing. Intend to create programming in my intellicenter to schedule the stenner to run a couple times a day via a circuit group that will run the main pump and stenner pump. I could put the acid on a stenner as well, just seemed like for similar money I might as well fully automate that part.

1. Is there a way to make sure that both units are not dosing at the same time. This would be a big issue right?

2. Does one of these devices need to be inserted before the other in the chain? Currently I have 1/2" inserts after the heater/backflow preventer and before the pellet feeder. I do not intend to use that feeder except in emergency and I'm aware of the dangers of feeding chorine and pellets simultaneously.

3. Would it be better to insert the acid after the pellet feeder so that if I do use the pellet feeder I won't be feeding acid into it?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
@MyAZPool @Dirk you guys have these fancy equipment. Care to share your setup?

Flying Tivo

Jan 24, 2017
Monterrey, NL, Mexico
If you are already set to buy a stenner, then there is no need to mix and match. Buy 2 stenners and use relays and programing to dose. Just remember that the minimum dosing time is 1 min for the Easytouch, dont know about intellicenter.

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
@Feaker
First, if I were in your shoes regarding the fact that you will provide chlorine via a Stenner Pump, then I would take @Flying Tivo 's advice.

2. In most cases, you will require an IntelliChlor SWG to incorporate an IntellipH Acid Dispensing System anyway. I'm sure one can find a way to make it work without the IC SWG but it sure wouldn't be worth the trouble in my opinion.

3. I have no idea about running both chlorine and acid stenners simultaneously (I run an IntelliChlor SWG), but there are many other's here who do that (I can't recall who at the moment), so hopefully someone who has the answer to that question will weigh-in.

3. If I were to do it all over again (knowing then, what I know now), I would NOT have purchased an IntellipH anyway. In the very least I would have purchased a Stenner setup and ran it from one of my IntelliCenter relays. The IntellipH is nothing more than a fancy dosing timer and because it MUST integrate with the IntelliChlor in most cases, that fact introduces some limitations that I am not at all happy with now.

4. I will be eliminating the IntellipH from my automation "mix" in the very near future. I may keep the acid tank and use that, but that's about it. In my case, I will most likely be replacing it very soon with the Atlas Scientific EZO-PMP Embedded Dosing Pump , but that's only because I am now utilizing their Tentacle T3 boards. For others, a simple Stenner MA dosing setup will suffice very nicely.

Bottom line, IMHO, I think you can do much better than the IntellipH for MA dosing and especially since you will dose liquid chlorine and not utilize an IntelliChlor.

r.

rphpool

Mar 4, 2015
Sugar Land , TX
IMO would add 2 Stenner pumps, acid & chlorine. I would make sure they are on a programmable relay to insure the run time will not overlap each other. I would also insert the injector far down as possible on the return line of the plumbing. It would be ideal if you had 2 separate return lines and plumbed into each of them.

Turbo1Ton

Gold Supporter
Dec 26, 2019
NE Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I also have the IntellipH and agree with the comments here. I am also going to be working on removing the IntellipH controller from the mix. I've got some catching up to do with MyAZPool on my automation stuff though!

Would never have considered the IntellipH over a Stenner if I were not using the IC salt cell.

--Jeff

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.